RGB SCART in.... VGA out?

Started by Vertigo, May 12, 2008, 10:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vertigo

Howdy,
Getting hold of a cheap 2nd hand projector for gaming funs, don't have anything more advanced than a Wii so am looking at the vdigi cable for that and GC games.

Everything else will be a bit of a chore without a projector that can do RGB via SCART. Seeing as just about every projector has a VGA input and I'm doing this on the cheap, buying 2nd hand projectors for £50 then buying new ones as they die instead of spending huge amounts on a pointless HDTV, I'm thinking I want to go for a RGB to VGA convertor.

Yes the projectors support interlaced standard def, (hopefully also through the VGA input instead of just through the composite and s-video only) so no need to worry about that, but I need something that can take an interlaced RGB signal (480i or 480p, depending on console) and happily bump it through to a VGA cable.

Can anyone help or will this need one of those horribly expensive convertor boxes?

Does anyone here have the skills or a diagram for me to make a cable that will do this?

Any caveats aside from whether the projector supports an interlaced signal through the VGA port? If it doesn't, I'll just have to only use it for GC and Wii and possibly S-Video everything else.

NFG

480p RGB IS VGA.  If you want to convert interlaced RGB to VGA, you'll need an upscan convertor, like the X-RGB2.

Vertigo

Upscan convertors being what they are (EXPENSIVE!) is there any piece of kit available that'll downscan instead, from a VGA source to a RGB/60/480i output instead?
I really really really want proper colour from my Wii but don't want to buy a new TV :)
Otherwise I suppose it'll have to be a look around for a CRT that has component input and progressive scan.

it290

Yes, the Extron Emotia series of scan converters will do this. They work nicely and are not too expensive.

Vertigo

Hmm... no SCART... new TV it is then ;) Thanks.