Genesis on my Monitor?

Started by Vorde, January 17, 2006, 04:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vorde

Hello,
I was just wondering if it would be possible to hook up my sega genesis to my monitor in my bedroom. It's a monitor for PC's so oviously it's modding time!  :D
It's not a 7-pin (RGB I think it's called) and it uses 15-pins (VGA I believe) and I have a model 1 genesis (the big bulky old ones).

There are two reasons why I want to do this:

1) I have a monitor in my bedroom that works fine, no one wants it, and it's just collecting dust. I want to use it!

2) I have a shitty video signal on my genesis. It's from overclocking the system  :lol:
Ever since I did the games work well but my screen get's worse  :angry:

Anyways, is it possible to do? I'm fairly sure it is but not 100%...
Can someone help me out here? Thanx!
I am the one that hunts you in the darkness...

http://www.surfjunky.com/?r=Vorde

Endymion

It isn't possible to do with the Genesis alone.

You have three options to get Genesis video to a VGA screen.

1. Buy an upscaler. The XRGB line is the best of these, XRGB is well-suited for JAMMA board upscaling and is also useful for consoles whereas the XRGB2+ (plus) is not so arcade board friendly and does a fine job for all the consoles. These are expensive ($150 or more) but they take a non-VGA RGB image and scale it to a VGA resolution and sync level. They require Japanese RGB cables, or else you will need to make a small converter for SCART RGB cables.

2. Buy an upscaler that does not upscale RGB, but rather composite or y/c (s-video). This is a simpler and much cheaper solution as you can find suitable converters like this for as little as $20. The con is that the results look terrible--a TV actually looks better.

3. Buy a (usually mid-range in terms of price) TV card or similar device for your PC. This will allow you to run the games to the computer rather than directly to the screen, and some programs such as D-Scaler can deinterlace the signal to make it look a bit nicer. The trouble here is that you may be spending as much as half the price of an XRGB unit to get a nice piece of hardware and/or software, but you are still not upscaling RGB, you're back to upscaling composite or y/c, which again does not look as nice as RGB or native VGA. Also, results with various hardwares and viewer programs can vary widely, as will the throughput you get; some solutions, particularly the breakaway boxes, do post-processing which really slows down the broadcast of the image, so you wind up with a game that is running a second or three behind the sound that you are hearing, which can make the game disconcerting. There will be various visual issues with differing hardware and software used to do this as well and your PC's mileage may vary from someone else's so it's hard to get a gauge on what will work best for you.

We here at nfg/gamesx/atarilabs(rip) favour and recommend the XRGB route in one of its forms for all the reasons above.

Vorde

Hmm...that sux. Well, thanx for telling me anyways. I'm glad I know now not to bother with it.  :(  
I am the one that hunts you in the darkness...

http://www.surfjunky.com/?r=Vorde