Quick question about SCSI on X68k

Started by famiac, August 01, 2013, 11:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famiac

So, if one were to use the CZ-6BS1 board on the x68000, would they be able to plug in a 1gb scsi hard drive into their x68000 and use it properly?
Thanks.

famiac

If it's that simple why would people be going through all that work and money to get a hard drive on the SASI port that's already on the X68000.

Could i use this on my X68k as a hard drive or restore a hard drive image to it?
http://bit.ly/142WqYv

Also, is it possible to have multiple hard drives on a X68000?
Sorry i'm very new to this. I've had a broken X68k for a year now and i'm finally gonna attempt fixing it. I still don't know what the problem is.
This is what the seller claimed (attached i think)

lydux

If it's that simple why would people be going through all that work and money to get a hard drive on the SASI port that's already on the X68000.
Simply because SCSI-1 and 2 are no longer manufactured since a long time ! It tends to be difficult now to find those hard drives in good conditions.

Could i use this on my X68k as a hard drive or restore a hard drive image to it?
http://bit.ly/142WqYv
This is exactly what you need. But if you're going for a CZ-6BS1, you'll also need an external case for it.
As for writing a disk image to it, it will work as long as you have an SCSI-1 capable card in your PC...

Also, is it possible to have multiple hard drives on a X68000?
Sure. Every x68000 SCSI solutions are SCSI compliant. So up to 7 SCSI peripherals.

Sorry i'm very new to this. I've had a broken X68k for a year now and i'm finally gonna attempt fixing it. I still don't know what the problem is.
This is what the seller claimed (attached i think)
I advise you to start a newer thread for this. Also, we'll need more infos :
- Which model ?
- Have you yourself tried with a correct monitor cable ?
- Without floppy inserted, can you see the floppy drive 0 green led blinking some seconds after powering up the x68k ?
- And after inserting a floppy, this same green blinking led should turn into red for 1 or 2 seconds before ejecting.

famiac

I will start a new thread about fixing my x68k in a few days, thank you so much for your help

Also, what do i need an external case for? The 6bs1 board or the hard drive?

lydux

For the hard drive.

Normally, SCSI devices can be wired internally or externally (with an appropriate case) to the SCSI host controller.
But the CZ-6BS1 (like all x68000 SCSI addons) provides only an external DSUB50 connector. So you can only use external SCSI devices.

What you need exactly is an external SCSI-1 hard drive case, with a dsub 50 connector on the back.

But first, you really should make sure your x68000 is working ! ;)

famiac

Hahaha yeah way before i worry about any of this.

I have a portable 5.25 inch drive. I wonder if it supports 2HD...

Thanks for the help lydux, once again

caius