Concerning 3.5 inch floppy writing.

Started by efs, March 08, 2013, 02:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efs

Salutations.

Recently I have gotten my hands on a 3-mode (advertised as supporting 720KB/1.25MB/1.44MB) USB floppy disk reader/writer and a couple of 3 inch floppies to attempt writing some X68k software onto, to find out if everything is working as it should.

Using the wiki guide for writing to 3.5 inch floppy disks, I ran through the necessary steps to format the disk accordingly. The drive works fine, as do the floppies. However, formatting the disk itself is where I encounter difficulty. Using either of the FORMAT commands provided on the wiki page results in a "Parameters not compatible" error, and nothing happens. I've tried formatting using the Windows utility itself, though it only allows for formatting to 1.44 MB. I'm at a loss.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem may be? I don't think it's the drive's fault, as it was stated that it had 3-mode support. It could be the floppies, but I have no idea. Here's an infodump, in case it will help:

I am using Windows 7, 64-bit. The drive I am using is an IBM MPF82E USB Portable Diskette Drive, and the floppies themselves are Verbatim DataLife MF 2HD (IBM Formatted) disks. Currently I have no other disks to use, but that can be easily rectified.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

BlueBMW

The format command doesnt work right in windows 7... youll have to use an xp or older machine to format them.

efs

I suspected something like that'd be the case. Thanks for the info, I'll seek out a PC with XP.