Installing games to Hard Drive

Started by eidis, February 15, 2011, 06:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caius

Quote from: eidis on May 25, 2011, 03:16:20 AM

Extract contents from paro_pat.lzh to root directory of your x68000 hard drive, launch paro_ins.x and press "SPACE". Insert Parodius disk1 and, when asked, disk2. IMHO all it does is makes directory called "paro" in root directory of x68000 hard disk and copies all files to it. There is a catch though. It renames disk_id files for both disks - disk_id.oka and disk_id.okb.

Extract bup.x from bdifset.lzh to created "paro" directory and execute without brackets "bup.x paro_sd.bfd". It will search for SD_DRV.X and patch it. After 

It was exactly what I tried many times,maybe   I put only the second disk of Parodius since I didn't understand the japanese messages of the installer.
It's a big problem to understand the instructions of the installers even with Google translator.Now we have to install Motos..did you understand the japanese messages I attached?I'm also trying to install Garou Densetsu  2 (six disks!) using patch but unsuccesfully.

eidis

I translated Motos installer doc and this is what I understood from it. One program extracts files from floppy disk. Then the other is used to launch the game. If nothing happens, the source disk is incompatible. I tried it with all versions in TOSEC from our FTP but without luck.

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

caius

Quote from: eidis on May 25, 2011, 05:34:49 AM
I translated Motos installer doc and this is what I understood from it. One program extracts files from floppy disk. Then the other is used to launch the game. If nothing happens, the source disk is incompatible. I tried it with all versions in TOSEC from our FTP but without luck.

Eidis

Yes, me too.All version seems incompatible.We have two possibilities:finding the proper version or modifying the source files adapting it to the other versions of the game.
But, if all versions of the games were incompatible, then also the extraction of the files would be impossibile..don't you think so?

eidis

We might still have a chance. Download Free Hex Editor Neo and open motos.xdf    You will see that there is code for trackloader at the very beginning, a little bit later comes the fake FAT table (it points to dummy files when we try to list contents of the disk)  and a little bit later comes something which is called YODEL DOS V1.0 with the real file names which are extracted by the patch. My theory is that we can manually find and extract those files. We know the sizes and if that Yodel Dos is not very cruel, those files are listed in chronological order. I'll get back to work now ;)

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

caius

Quote from: eidis on May 25, 2011, 06:10:45 AM
   We might still have a chance. Download Free Hex Editor Neo and open motos.xdf    You will see that there is code for trackloader at the very beginning, a little bit later comes the fake FAT table (it points to dummy files when we try to list contents of the disk)  and a little bit later comes something which is called YODEL DOS V1.0 with the real file names which are extracted by the patch. My theory is that we can manually find and extract those files. We know the sizes and if that Yodel Dos is not very cruel, those files are listed in chronological order. I'll get back to work now ;)

Eidis

OK, I will try.But the strange is that installer succesfully extract those 15 files from motos disk image but when you launch  motos.x it happens nothing displaying that japanese message  I attached before..

eidis

It is easy to explain. Installer is instructed to extract certain amount of data from certain sectors of disk. I believe that it does not perform any integrity check before doing it and blindly extracts data. If the required data resides in different sectors, then we get a Japanese message which tells us that something is wrong.

P.S. Try Etowarupurinsesu Hadodisukuinsutorukitto
http://nfggames.com/X68000/Mirrors/x68pub/x68data/GAME/PATCH/EP_INST.LZH

Eidis

caius

Quote from: eidis on May 25, 2011, 06:31:04 AM
It is easy to explain. Installer is instructed to extract certain amount of data from certain sectors of disk. I believe that it does not perform any integrity check before doing it and blindly extracts data. If the required data resides in different sectors, then we get a Japanese message which tells us that something is wrong.

Eidis

Ok, I'll try Etowarupurinsesu Hadodisukuinsutorukitto and let you know.Regarding Motos, If you try different versions of the games, the program mkmotos.x  doesn't extract nothing.But if you put the right version it will extract 15 files.So, at least we know we have the right version in our hands.But, as I said before,  when you launch  'motos.x' in the same direcory of the 15 extracted files it display that error.
Attached below are the files extracted from Motos using mkmotos.x.So extraction works well..the problem is when you launch 'motos.x' returning that error :

UPDATE
That japanese message means "INSUFFICIENT MEMORY".Now I have to understand why this gappens even if I set 6MB with switch.x.
In the README there is :
"Motos.x requires less than 800K bytes of free memory"
Maybe we need some X68000 program like the old DOS/4GW extender?

caius

Quote from: eidis on May 25, 2011, 06:31:04 AM

Eidis

I installed Etoile Pricesse (great game!) using the patch you provided.Here is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2X6GNBWT

To start the game launch GAME.BAT.
Small explanation:
Basically the patch extract files from the three disks and apply a .bdf diff file.Then you have to copy in the same directory of extraction a file called 'FEXDRV.X' which is contained in Geograph Seal which is another game from EXACT software house.That's all.

eidis

Domo arigato for Etowarupurinsesu Hadodisuku version.

Here's a little something in return:

http://nfggames.com/X68000/Games/GarouDensetsu2_HDD.zip

Edit: I just noticed that you already done that in your game compilation.

P.S. Lawrence has implemented Upload function to the FTP so everyone is welcome to contribute ;)

P.P.S. Caius, could you please upload your achievements to the FTP ?

I think that soon it will be time for HDD image v2 ;)

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

caius

Quote from: eidis on May 26, 2011, 02:44:40 AM
Domo arigato for Etowarupurinsesu Hadodisuku version.

Here's a little something in return:

http://nfggames.com/X68000/Games/GarouDensetsu2_HDD.zip

Edit: I just noticed that you already done that in your game compilation.

P.S. Lawrence has implemented Upload function to the FTP so everyone is welcome to contribute ;)

P.P.S. Caius, could you please upload your achievements to the FTP ?

I think that soon it will be time for HDD image v2 ;)

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

Yes, sure , tell  me the data for FTP access and I will do (in /X68000/Games/ folder?)

P.S.

Thanks for Garou Densetsu 2,  I added to my compilation Garou Densetsu Special but not this..it seems that you succeed in what  I fail and viceversa! ;)
Anyway there is a mistake in the TOSEC set.Disk E and F of Garou Densetsu 2 are swapped, this prevented me from succesfully installing the patch.We must correct it.

P.S.
Ok, I understood how to upload, you have click on upload.htm

eidis

Quote from: caius on May 26, 2011, 06:31:37 AM
Thanks for Garou Densetsu 2,  I added to my compilation Garou Densetsu Special but not this..it seems that you succeed in what  I fail and viceversa!
That's very good. This way we will have HDD versions of most desirable games in no time. I sure gave up on SolFeace ;)

Quote from: caius on May 26, 2011, 06:31:37 AM
Anyway there is a mistake in the TOSEC set.Disk E and F of Garou Densetsu 2 are swapped, this prevented me from succesfully installing the patch.We must correct it.
Main set seemed fine to me. I used the installer on last disk. It asked for every floppy so I started from disk_a and went upwards. Once the disk was inserted I needed to press SPACE and copy procedure commenced if the correct disk was inserted. Honestly I did not find any problems with it.

P.S. Let's leave the management of TOSEC to the responsible parties. I'm pretty sure that they will hear from us and our HDD installed games.

P.P.S. Thanks for ViewPoint. Now let's have the rest of them ;) Please archive them in separate zip's because it is industry standard. Thanks again !

Let's try Overtake, Genocide1 and Genocide2

Eidis

caius

Quote from: eidis on May 26, 2011, 11:48:27 AM

That's very good. This way we will have HDD versions of most desirable games in no time. I sure gave up on SolFeace ;)

Yes.Regarding Sol Feace, did you try an installer? Since I installed it with the usual  procedure (adding SUBST command for A: and B:  in !Start.bat) and it works fine though  I tested it only on 1st level..

Main set seemed fine to me. I used the installer on last disk. It asked for every floppy so I started from disk_a and went upwards. Once the disk was inserted I needed to press SPACE and copy procedure commenced if the correct disk was inserted. Honestly I did not find any problems with it.

P.S. Let's leave the management of TOSEC to the responsible parties. I'm pretty sure that they will hear from us and our HDD installed games.

P.P.S. Thanks for ViewPoint. Now let's have the rest of them ;) Please archive them in separate zip's because it is industry standard. Thanks again !

Regarding Garou Densetsu 2 I copied manually the contents of each disk and didn't use the installer on last disk.Extracting files I noticed that content of DISK E was the one of DISK F and viceversa.
Yes, I managed only to upload Viewpoint then upload ability didn't work anymore giving me different errors.I contacted Lawrence and he said me that for now there is no upload ability, he still testing different uploaders.

caius

Eidis

I succesfully installed Overtake but , as said before,  I can't upload it on NFG space.If you want I can upload it to a online storage  and report the link here.

NFG

Why does that file fale specifically, is it too large?  Is it always the same file?  I can't make the uploader fail, so I'm assuming it's a matter of network quality and file size.  Any clues you can offer would be awesome.  

I'll finish off the upload page today, but it's basically going to be limited to the web-page uploader you can't use, and login details for FTP uploading (which you need a brain to use, heh).

Any other suggestions are welcomed.  ^_^

UPDATE: The upload page now includes the FTP login details, and looks a little better.  The sad fact is HTTP is just not designed for file transfers, so anyone hoping to upload anything big should definitely learn to use FTP.  ^_^

caius

Quote from: Lawrence on May 27, 2011, 09:52:08 AM
Why does that file fale specifically, is it too large?  Is it always the same file?  I can't make the uploader fail, so I'm assuming it's a matter of network quality and file size.  Any clues you can offer would be awesome.  

The file  I was trying to upload via HTTP is more than 2 MB.But, just now  I succesfully upload it using FTP access so thanks for your work.You can check it, it called 'Strider_HDD'.If you give me the OK and everything works fine,  I can continue to upload my compilation of installed games.

eidis

Thanks Lawrence and Caius ! We are on to something BIG. I mean massively BIG. Please upload the rest of your installed games.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

caius

Quote from: eidis on May 27, 2011, 07:55:20 PM
Thanks Lawrence and Caius ! We are on to something BIG. I mean massively BIG. Please upload the rest of your installed games.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

I uploaded a first batch of installed games  in .zip format, only few (my mystake) are in .rar and need to be recompress in .zip.Simply decompress them in your whatever directory of your HDD or CF. Note that ALL these games can be launched running !Start.bat on LHES (and pure DOS ,too).
To follow another batch of installed games that can be launched only in pure DOS and only from 'GAMES' or 'GAMES2' folder (respecting so the file tree structure of Eidis HDD image).See you later.

eidis

Great ! Contributions added to Games directory. And now part 2 please ;)

Edit: I can see the files coming in as I write this post. This is so exciting :)

Eidis

caius

Quote from: eidis on May 28, 2011, 02:41:02 AM
Great ! Contributions added to Games directory. And now part 2 please ;)

Edit: I can see the files coming in as I write this post. This is so exciting :)

Eidis

Just uploaded the second lot of installed games.Some important notes: where the REAME.TXT is not present,  folders of the games can be extracted everywhere in HDD or CF and launched either  under LHES either in pure DOS.
Instead, some games must be extracted only in A:\GAMES or A:\GAMES2 and some can be launched only under pure DOS.
In this case, please, read carefully the README.txt
The game 'Overtake'  must be extracted only in A:\ root in order to work.Sorry, this is a limitation of the installer,I presume.
Last,  the game 'Dungeon Master' still requires a blank disk in floppy drive #0 in order to be played fully from HDD, maybe someone can fix it.
Please report any issue.
Enjoy!

eidis

Files with Japanese characters in their names have incorrect names after archiving, but that is just a small inconvenience.

Eidis

Nelson

Hello everyone,
First I want to thank you for this forum, as he was well X68000 easier!
I tested the HD Parodius, but the keys do not work in the game, dracula works, but while using the MIDI sc-55 it crashes, it only works with the standard sound.
Daimakaimura, I could not, need to change the config.sys in the root of an HD?
Well that's it, I would like to hank Eidis and Lawrence for all your help!
Sorry for my english.
Thanks, Nelson.

eidis

Hi !

Did you try to run them in emulator or using real hardware ? Joystick support is mandatory for every X68000 game while keyboard support is limited. Some games support key input, some don't. HDD version of Daimakaimura requires at least 3MB of RAM. Unfortunately my X68000 is not equipped with sc-55.

Eidis

Nelson

Hi Eidis,

I tried it on real hardware, now I put a joystick in my  X68000 and Parodius worked well.
I was sad to hear that Daimakaimura need 3mb  to work in HD, so has my 2mb. Dracula must be the same problem of RAM.

What is the maximum size of HD that can be installed on the X68000?

Thank you for all
Nelson.

caius

Just uploaded a few other HDD installed games (some great shooters among...).Please report any issues and, as always, read the README!.txt file included.

P.S.
Eidis, how can I solve the  incorrect  file names with japanese characters after archiving them?

eidis

Hi Caius !

Big thanks for the huge amount of  contributions ! The best thing would be to store each donated game in seperate HDD image. Unfortunately I don't have a donor image. Could you please upload the whole image of your X68000 HDD ? That way I could more easily merge it with the latest distributive.

Thanks in advance,
Eidis

caius

Quote from: eidis on June 01, 2011, 04:34:24 AM
  Hi Caius !

Big thanks for the huge amount of  contributions ! The best thing would be to store each donated game in seperate HDD image. Unfortunately I don't have a donor image. Could you please upload the whole image of your X68000 HDD ? That way I could more easily merge it with the latest distributive.

Thanks in advance,
Eidis

Hi Eidis, my HDD image  has both  all your and my games.Besides It's set on SCSI0.Tell me if I have to upload it.

P.S.
Can't you add simply my games to your HDD image?

eidis

Hi Caius !

Some of the files names while archiving get messed up. Sure I can use the donated zips, but some of the file names, only those which are in Japanese, are messed up. Try to unpack ChoRenSha and import it to HDD. I got a completely different name for the main directory. The HDD image is all about integrity. X68000 is already very "user friendly". ;)

Eidis

caius

Quote from: eidis on June 01, 2011, 03:15:16 PM
Hi Caius !

Some of the files names while archiving get messed up. Sure I can use the donated zips, but some of the file names, only those which are in Japanese, are messed up. Try to unpack ChoRenSha and import it to HDD. I got a completely different name for the main directory. The HDD image is all about integrity. X68000 is already very "user friendly". ;)

Eidis

Yes, i tried to unpack HDD game zips in windows and japanese name are messed up but when I transfer them on HDD image using DiskExplorer then they display fine.Listen, do you know some universal music player to run on real X6800 in order to play not only .MDX but also .ZMD, .ZMS and other exotic X68000 music  formats?
Besides, I'm trying to understand well the utility of these two programs:

http://nfggames.com/x68000/Mirrors/x68pub/x68data/GAME/PATCH/PROEMU11.LZH

http://nfggames.com/x68000/Mirrors/Sharp_x68000_TOSEC_2010-05-02/Applications/Twin%20Copy%201993%20Toshi%2010%20Tsuki%20Gou%20(1993)(Protect%20Kougaku%20Kenkyuukai).zip

First should be some disk protection emulator, second a diskcopy program with a lot of parameters to copy games with proprietary protections (like some old Amiga programs).It would be interesting to understand them   maybe with the help of someone who can translate well (not Google, please..)japanese language..
Last I found very useful these two programs to be executed in real X68000, the first for fast formatting floppy disks, the second for create .XDF from floppy and write back .XDF to floppy:

http://nfggames.com/x68000/Mirrors/x68pub/x68tools/DISK/FLOPPY/wfup.lzh
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Mirrors/x68pub/x68tools/DISK/FLOPPY/xdftools.lzh

eidis

Hi !

I must have different regional settings because after importing the unarchived games to hard disk image those Japanese file names get all messed up. Mostly they are readme files which are affected. I can correct them by hand but it would be less painful and much faster if you could upload the image. A new distributive is coming soon either way.

MMDSP play other file formats as well. All you need to do is load the appropriate driver.

Try this one:
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Mirrors/x68pub/x68tools/SOUND/ZMUSIC/V1/ZMSCB151.LZH

You can use this one if you want more than one digital channel:
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Mirrors/x68pub/x68tools/SOUND/ADPCM/PCM8A060.LZH

Try Domino Line and see the difference ;)

IMHO Twin copy is meant as a disk to disk copy.

ProEmu on the other hand seems like something that could allow us to make some more HDD installed games. Unfortunately I have not figured it out how to use it.

Eidis

caius

Quote from: eidis on June 02, 2011, 06:40:30 AM
Hi !

I must have different regional settings because after importing the unarchived games to hard disk image those Japanese file names get all messed up. Mostly they are readme files which are affected. I can correct them by hand but it would be less painful and much faster if you could upload the image. A new distributive is coming soon either way.

MMDSP play other file formats as well. All you need to do is load the appropriate driver.

Try this one:
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Mirrors/x68pub/x68tools/SOUND/ZMUSIC/V1/ZMSCB151.LZH

You can use this one if you want more than one digital channel:
http://nfggames.com/x68000/Mirrors/x68pub/x68tools/SOUND/ADPCM/PCM8A060.LZH

Try Domino Line and see the difference ;)

IMHO Twin copy is meant as a disk to disk copy.

ProEmu on the other hand seems like something that could allow us to make some more HDD installed games. Unfortunately I have not figured it out how to use it.

Eidis

Ok, thanks for the tips.I'm gonna to upload my HDD image right now.
Yes, Proemu could help us to emulate the protection of those game which are not HDD installable for now due protection, indeed.From hat I understood it should analize the disk and create two files:  'type6.x' and  'type6.dat' for example, then you should modify config.sys adding this line 'program = type6.x' and see if game start.In its README ther is an example on how installing Dragon Buster using the two files extracted by Proemu.But I think that this Proemu has to used with original floppies disk because I tried it with copied ones and it didn't extract nothing (I think that when x68000 games have been dumped in .XDF or .DIM  , their protection has been lost or maybe It's  impossibile to  recreate the protections using a regular 3mode USB floppy).Do you know some protected games for sure?We need some help from who understand japanese language better than us...

UPDATE:

Here is my HDD image:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D1EB1CS2

This HDD image is configured for SCSI0.Besides, I have deleted you Otoko Dama in A:\GAMES2 because it was without sound and it could be launched only from pure DOS , mine in A:\GAMES has sound and can be launched from LHES.I put Overtake game in A:\ root since it can work only from this path.
That's all.Feel free to modify my image as you want (adding music section, for example).

eidis

Thanks for the image. While making the original one I followed these strict guidelines:

1) Any game which is in the image must be of the highest standards and must be playable without language barriers. The easiest way to pass this test is to ask yourself "will I want to play it ?" ;) 
2) There should not be two directories with the same first 8 letters in one place, because X68000 interprets them both as one (IMHO, the one which was created first). Try listing contents of Gradius2 and Gradius2Gofer to see an example. The same applies to file names. It was a real pain making Music compilation because there was tons of cases like this;
3) When making a distributive, the modified directories must be imported to a clean image so that the directories will list in alphabetical order and show in alphabetical order in DI.X. Otherwise the listing will be random, except for LHES which sorts them by name.

So what am I hinting at ?! Some games will not make it into second image but still will be available as standalone zips so please don't dead me with three or more rocks and a pipe of metal if I leave out some game which you consider good. ;)

Thanks again !
Eidis

P.S.  I think I have a solution to our archiving problems. We can avoid any file related problems by using LHA. There is one already in the BIN directory of X68000 image. The best thing would be to archive installed games on X68000. You can try to use a windows version alternatively http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/lha.htm   That way if windows will mess up the file names again, it should extract fine on X68000. This method should be tested before uploading.

caius

Quote from: eidis on June 03, 2011, 02:05:23 PM
Thanks for the image. While making the original one I followed these strict guidelines:

1) Any game which is in the image must be of the highest standards and must be playable without language barriers. The easiest way to pass this test is to ask yourself "will I want to play it ?" ;)  

Yes, I Know , I ahve addes also some crap games, feel free to remove them

2) There should not be two directories with the same first 8 letters in one place, because X68000 interprets them both as one (IMHO, the one which was created first). Try listing contents of Gradius2 and Gradius2Gofer to see an example. The same applies to file names. It was a real pain making Music compilation because there was tons of cases like this;

Yes,  I noticed this problem.Infact, if you see, I named  Populous  and _Populous_2_  for example but I forgot Gradius2 and Gradius2Gopher...

3) When making a distributive, the modified directories must be imported to a clean image so that the directories will list in alphabetical order and show in alphabetical order in DI.X. Otherwise the listing will be random, except for LHES which sorts them by name.

Yes, I didn't understand why DI doesn't sort folders alphabetically.

P.S.  I think I have a solution to our archiving problems. We can avoid any file related problems by using LHA. There is one already in the BIN directory of X68000 image. The best thing would be to archive installed games on X68000. You can try to use a windows version alternatively http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/lha.htm   That way if windows will mess up the file names again, it should extract fine on X68000. This method should be tested before uploading.

I tried your program but it's from command line.  I found  this under Windows  instead:

http://www.alphazip.com/

which can compress in .LZH format but it always display japanese names wrongly after compression, try it yourself.Doing it directly on X68000 is always from command line, a real pain again...

eidis

Hi !

It is very easy to use LHA for X68000. Just go with LHES to directory where selected game resides. Press "X" on the keyboard and enter without brackets "lha a -r nameofthegame". To extract, just make a directory, copy archive to it and type "lha x nameofthegame"

Eidis

P.S. Thanks a million Caius for the huge amounts of contributions. Without you image v2 would certainly be delayed for a long time.

caius

Quote from: eidis on June 06, 2011, 06:02:54 AM
Hi !

It is very easy to use LHA for X68000. Just go with LHES to directory where selected game resides. Press "X" on the keyboard and enter without brackets "lha a -r nameofthegame". To extract, just make a directory, copy archive to it and type "lha x nameofthegame"

Eidis

P.S. Thanks a million Caius for the huge amounts of contributions. Without you image v2 would certainly be delayed for a long time.

Ok, I will try LHA on X68000.I see that you have used H2boot.X for those games which are not installable at all, it works fine.I'm uploading some other installed games (some also using HDboot like Motos)..by the way, a question: for HDboot did you use directly images form TOSEC or use the MKIMG.X utility?I noticed a strange thing: when you create images with MKIMG , those images are 1.261.568 bytes but when you extract them on indows with Diskexplorer they become 1.277.952 bytes, I can't understand why!
It was my pleasure to contribute, I'm sure V3 of HDD image will come shortly...

P.S.
Now we must understand how install games like Mr do! or Exciting hour, they seem protected, neither HD2BOOT works with them..

P.P.S.
I tried LHA on LHES but it didn't work with this syntax 'lha a -r nameofthegame', it returns an error.

eidis

Get ready for the next battle ! Wiki article updated:

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:installing_games_to_hard_drive

I used mkimg.x to make the image files.  Just tried to extract images from the HDD image and their size was 1.277.952

Terribly sorry about lhes example. You need to run the command from DOS.

lha a -r nameofthegame

Eidis

P.S. Please upload your latest and greatest achievements. ;)

caius

Quote from: eidis on June 08, 2011, 03:44:23 AM
Get ready for the next battle ! Wiki article updated:

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:installing_games_to_hard_drive

I used mkimg.x to make the image files.  Just tried to extract images from the HDD image and their size was 1.277.952

Terribly sorry about lhes example. You need to run the command from DOS.

lha a -r nameofthegame

Eidis

P.S. Please upload your latest and greatest achievements. ;)

Ok, I'm going to upload my latest installed games.But I have to use .ZIP or LZH?

P.S.
Now I'm using LHA on X68000 but  it's the same:when I transfer the created .LZH   archives   by DiskExplorer, Windows XP messed up the japanese names.

UPDATE:
I just uploaded another batch of HDD installed games, please test them and report any issues.Note that Bonanza Bros (which requires 6MB using 2HDBOOT) works on emulator but not on my real X68000 CompactXVI equipped with 6MB of RAM, I didn't understand why.

eidis

Quote from: caius on June 08, 2011, 03:51:10 AM
Ok, I'm going to upload my latest installed games.But I have to use .ZIP or LZH?

Let's stay to the X68000 standards. I believe that it is LHA

P.S.
Now I'm using LHA on X68000 but  it's the same:when I transfer the created .LZH   archives   by DiskExplorer, Windows XP messed up the japanese names.

The main idea here is to use X68000 to archive and unarchive them so that file names will be correct. Let's suppose that it is 1990 and the only hardware we have is X68000, no PC's.

UPDATE:
I just uploaded another batch of HDD installed games, please test them and report any issues.Note that Bonanza Bros (which requires 6MB using 2HDBOOT) works on emulator but not on my real X68000 CompactXVI equipped with 6MB of RAM, I didn't understand why.

Those are some mad skills Bro ! I am having a hard time keeping up with you ;)

Eidis

eidis

Caius has once again contributed a batch of HDD installed games !

Today's special features are:

Bloodia
FancyQuix
KingofChicago
ShufflePuckCafe
Slimyer

I have a special treat for you as well. It turns out that it is possible to run Butasan and Cotton from HDD on 2MB machines. All you have to do is add a last line in config.sys file with the following text:

SHELL = \SYS\DI

Reboot the machine, navigate to Games3 and choose the desired game. Exit DI by pressing ESC key.

To execute Cotton type:
cot

To execute Butasan type:
butaboot

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis

caius

Hi Eidis,
just to say you can delete these two files from my new upload:

KingofChicago.lzh
ShufflePuckCafe.lzh

because they are bad (incomplete uploads).

Right files are:
ShufflePuckCafe_HDD.lzh
KingofChicago_HDD.lzh

P.S.
Any news on the new 2HDboot and Proemu?

eidis

Hi Guys !

Today I made a massive discovery which could help us install up to now uninstallable games without 2HDBOOT. There is a program called ADDDRV.X which allows us to load config.sys drivers after the system has fully booted which would otherwise be impossible. I updated the Wiki with Example #4 and made a proof of concept.

Wiki:
http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:installing_games_to_hard_drive

Proof of concept:
http://nfggames.com/X68000/Games/Nama68.zip

This discovery is dedicated to Caius ! I guess the HDD image v3 is once again delayed because of this discovery ;)

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis