SxSI-SCSI HDD Image v2.20

Started by incrediblehark, June 16, 2023, 01:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like the next release to be sorted by genre instead of alphabetically?

Yes
9 (69.2%)
No
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: September 27, 2023, 12:33:41 AM

incrediblehark

Thanks to all for reporting these issues, I will do the best I can to try and resolve these problems for a small update. Working on getting a SASI machine to do further testing on real hardware.

HIggy

@spectreman Hand-On loads and plays on Expert 2 with BlueSCSI V1

Knight Arms also loads and plays

spectreman

Quote from: HIggy on May 05, 2024, 05:51:16 AM@spectreman Hand-On loads and plays on Expert 2 with BlueSCSI V1

As I thought, the problem arises from an incompatibility with the different Hitachi HD68HC000 10 MHz CPU for the first models, and the Motorola 68000 16 MHz CPU of the XVI and subsequent models.

I don't think the problem is due to the difference between the use of HENKAN BANCHO PRO or BlueSCSI V1, considering that on the Expert II system, you report correct operation.

I'm curious to know from those who have a Super type model, whether they have problems with Knight Arms or Super Hang-On, to understand whether the SCSI and SASI difference also matters, considering that they have a Hitachi HD68HC000 10 MHz CPU, but connected with SCSI .

Regarding the Aquales game, does anyone start the second level?

incrediblehark

Quote from: spectreman on May 05, 2024, 08:56:35 AM
Quote from: HIggy on May 05, 2024, 05:51:16 AM@spectreman Hand-On loads and plays on Expert 2 with BlueSCSI V1

As I thought, the problem arises from an incompatibility with the different Hitachi HD68HC000 10 MHz CPU for the first models, and the Motorola 68000 16 MHz CPU of the XVI and subsequent models.

I don't think the problem is due to the difference between the use of HENKAN BANCHO PRO or BlueSCSI V1, considering that on the Expert II system, you report correct operation.

I'm curious to know from those who have a Super type model, whether they have problems with Knight Arms or Super Hang-On, to understand whether the SCSI and SASI difference also matters, considering that they have a Hitachi HD68HC000 10 MHz CPU, but connected with SCSI .

Regarding the Aquales game, does anyone start the second level?

I just had a chance to test out Knight Arms and Hang On ... I had no trouble playing Knight Arms in 10mhz or 16mhz mode using my XVI and SCSI2SD. Super Hang On also worked fine on my system at both speeds and resolutions using the same hardware. However, the game did crash when i attempted to start it within LHES. Just want to confirm that you are trying Super Hang On by pressing Q then Q again within its folder to quit LHES and run the !Start.Bat automatically?

This is using 12MB ram and a scsi2sd using a Sandisk 4GB SD card, so maybe there's a difference with the Henkan Bancho?

ateam

Quote from: incrediblehark on May 08, 2024, 11:28:05 AMHowever, the game did crash when i attempted to start it within LHES. Just want to confirm that you are trying Super Hang On by pressing Q then Q again within its folder to quit LHES and run the !Start.Bat automatically?

This is using 12MB ram and a scsi2sd using a Sandisk 4GB SD card, so maybe there's a difference with the Henkan Bancho?

Yes, QQ is how I launch everything.

A curious case indeed!

incrediblehark

I don't know the Henkan Bancho Pro and only just started looking at the manual, are there any settings that can be adjusted? I saw something about file naming conventions for hdd images and was wondering if manually labeling sectors, etc would help.

ateam

Quote from: incrediblehark on May 08, 2024, 01:23:01 PMI don't know the Henkan Bancho Pro and only just started looking at the manual, are there any settings that can be adjusted? I saw something about file naming conventions for hdd images and was wondering if manually labeling sectors, etc would help.

Honestly, I don't know. I'm looking at the translated manual, and I don't see any indication of that, only disk ID and LUN.

I use the following filename for your HDD image: SxSI-SCSI_v220[SCSI3].hds

spectreman

First of all, thank you for helping us incrediblehark.
I've tried many of the games included in the HDD image, haven't finished them, but they work fine.

Regarding Aquales, the game saves each completed level to physical disk, this feature makes its emulation much more complicated.

Knight Arms and Super Hang-On are performed by pressing the Q key and Q again.
Even starting them directly from the !Start.Bat file doesn't change anything, they get stuck on loading.

HENKAN BANCHO PRO (widely used in Japan) unlike SCSI2SD, does not emulate HDD but is similar to a real hardware type HDD.
Regarding the settings, it is not possible to change anything.

To start an image, simply prepare the CF memory formatted in FAT32. I set the clusters to 32kb, a higher value makes reading slower.
Then I directly copy the HDD image (copy and paste) naming it SxSI-SCSI_v220[SCSI0][512].HDS or without the value [512], which will set the default value automatically.

The CF used are SanDisk (very slow), Transcend, and an unknown Chinese brand LEMIWEI, but well-selling and fast, all 4GB.

spectreman

Starting Knight Arms and Super Hang-On by copying the games into the X68000_V4.HDS HDD image works fine, but they don't work when booting from SxSI-SCSI_v220.

Tests carried out on the X68000 XVI, 12MB RAM (TSR brand) on HENKAN BANCHO PRO.

incrediblehark

Thank you @spectreman for the testing! I'm beginning to wonder if the henkan bancho has problems with the 3gb size of the hds image, as it's really pushing our limits. I'm wondering if you would be able to test the same games on a 2gb partition and see if the results are the same? Maybe try shoometsu's 030 image and copy the files over? If this is the case it will motivate me even more to get my v3.0 finished.

One other possibility could be the patched version of Human.sys in my image. So another potential test could be to copy my human.sys to the v4 image and retest the games.

spectreman

Quote from: incrediblehark on May 09, 2024, 09:24:33 PMThank you @spectreman for the testing! I'm beginning to wonder if the henkan bancho has problems with the 3gb size of the hds image, as it's really pushing our limits. I'm wondering if you would be able to test the same games on a 2gb partition and see if the results are the same? Maybe try shoometsu's 030 image and copy the files over? If this is the case it will motivate me even more to get my v3.0 finished.

One other possibility could be the patched version of Human.sys in my image. So another potential test could be to copy my human.sys to the v4 image and retest the games.
I followed your directions, with the following results:
I copied your Human.sys file into X68000_V4.HDS and the Knight Arms and Super Hang-On games, I got a black screen.

I was unable to test with the shoometsu HDD image, because it is no longer available.

I copied the games and modified the !Start.bat file, in the C: partition and deleted those present in the Racing folder and
  Shooting, Super Hang-On finally starts correctly, even if the startup wait goes beyond the 000 count.

Unfortunately Knight Arms starts randomly, very unstable.
I noticed that it is also unstable on the emulator. Searching the Web I noticed that there are several XDF images of the game.
Could a faulty image of the game of poor quality be the reason for its instability?

Finally I added more games from the MiniV2 to your HDD image, and they all run perfectly.

Tests carried out on the X68000 XVI, 12MB RAM (TSR brand) on HENKAN BANCHO PRO.