XRGB2+ and Amiga

Started by Confused, June 02, 2005, 12:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Confused

Hi guys,
I�m now down to my last Amiga capable monitor, which is also on its way out
(dark/dull image) and I refuse to buy any more of these 10/15+ year old monitors that have hardly any life left in them anymore. So I have decided that I will be picking up an XRGB2+ off Lik Sang as soon as I got the cash but before I do so I got a few questions�

1. I understand the unit supports PAL but does it support PAL through the
   RGB/Scart socket or only through the Composite/S-Video Sockets?

2. Does it support PAL60?

3. What about unusual Amiga resolutions like �Euro36�:  73 Hz, 15.76 KHz

4. Anybody got clue as to how the interlaced resolutions, which flicker heavily will
   look on a VGA monitor                

5. If I switch the Amiga into 640*480 60 Hz, 31.44 KHz will the unit pass it though?

Thanks heaps guys!

Confused

I realise that most of you guys that own an xrgb2+ probably use it with consoles and not an amiga but surly someone can confirm if it supports pal50/pal60 or not???  

gamerade

still confused....?

OK, not sure if I can answer all your questions, but here are my experiences using the xrgb2+ and a1200 connected to iiyama vision master 451

I am based in UK (pal land) and have used the xrgb2+ for imported (ntsc U and J) consoles along with old a1200 and c64 (both pal).
I use the PAL c64 through the svhs input using a modified 1084s monitor cable. The picture is rock steady although there can be some slight degredation when overbright colours are displayed, this is eliminated by adjusting the scanlines and other parameters on the xrgb2+
I use the PAL a1200 through the 21pin RGB input using a converted euro2jap scart lead. I have installed WHDload on the HD and have tried hundreds of games / demos, and all have worked 100%. Some requiring manual switching of screenmodes (turrican2 - ntsc) to work. There is some moir effect on screens that use pixel chequerboard patterns (most noticeable on the WHDload intro screen) which again is eliminated by adjusting the scanlines and other parameters of the xrgb2+.

PAL/NTSC hi-res/lo-res, no problems
PAL/NTSC interlaced screen modes flicker as much as you would expect on any other screen. Due to a1200 output rather than xrgb2+ pass through, I assume you would have to output progressive to eliminate flicker.
SUPER72, EURO36, dblPAL, dblNTSC, A2024 - they are a NO-NO and result in black screen or rolling picture.

640*480 60 Hz, 31.44 KHz (vga output ?) not selectable on my a1200, requires vga lead? (passes through 640*480 60 Hz, 15.72 KHz but that's no use to you)

Any problems i've had are (like other posters) related to supergun PCB pass through, which I  think is more related to the VGA none adjustable sync on monitor. My TV handles them OK.

any help?

gamerade

Confused

Thank you very much gamerade!

I was planing on purchasing the XRGB2+ from LikSang but under the specs section it only states NTSC compatibility?

Thankyou for confirming that it does indeed support PAL, I can now buy one in confidence.

Just in case your interested you can obtain VGA output from you 1200 by using the "multisync" driver found under storage and placing it into devs. That�s how u get:
640*480 60 Hz, 31.44 KHz

gamerade

Copied the multisync (640*480 60 Hz, 31.44 KHz) prefs to devs and the screen rolls, so no go on that setting either. It's something i've never looked into, using the a1200 as a games+demo machine only and using the 1084s monitor until it went belly up.
But as i stated in my previous post it could be my monitor (?). After googling several threads on the PCB problem it appeared people had solved theirs by adjusting the sync on the monitor itself, a feature not supported on mine.

Endymion

QuoteI was planing on purchasing the XRGB2+ from LikSang but under the specs section it only states NTSC compatibility?

Thankyou for confirming that it does indeed support PAL, I can now buy one in confidence.
Mind now, RGB is neither PAL nor NTSC. Expanding on what gamerade had to say, what their disclaimer means (i.e. "NTSC only") is that the XRGB2 Plus is set up for the SCART-like RGB cable that is used in NTSC territories--which as far as I know is only Japan/Asia. It has a slightly different pinout but uses the same SCART plug/socket scheme. You will need to mod the cables you use, mod the XRGB2 Plus (a dicey solution to be sure, trust me on this), or make a converter cable/box. Once you have all the ducks lined up in a row it will work with RGB just fine whether you have an NTSC or PAL system.