XRGB2 broken regulator?

Started by hellbelly, September 20, 2008, 07:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellbelly

Hi

I've just picked up an XRGB2 (not the +) which is in an unknown state.  I'm just waiting for the proper PSU to arrive but thought I would have a look inside to see what's what.

It's had a wire installed which links up pin11 of the 21 pin socket, to the 5v output leg of the 7805 regulator?!

I'm guessing from this that the regulator is probably be broken and at some point instead of replacing it, someone decided to bypass it by using the AV select voltage that's on pin 11.  Does this sound likely?  Remember, I can't test it yet as I don't have a PSU.

I do have a spare laptop psu which outputs 15v, it's got the wrong plug but that's easily sorted.  I wondered if this would be okay?  The specs for the voltage regulators in the XRGB2 say they support upto 18v input, if I added heatsinks to them it might be okay?

Does anyone know if the original PSU is unregulated (I'm guessing it is)

ta
Pete

hellbelly

Hmmm, the voltage regulator works fine.   And the VGA pass-through works fine, but an AES connected via composite outputs audio okay, but my TV says mode not supported, and my monitor doesn't see a signal at all.  Is there an dummies guide for this to explain what the lights mean etc, or did anyone scan in one of the fabled english manuals??

Pete

edit, oooooh - thanks to some pointers over at shmups.com it's now up and running (switched to 31khz by holding down up then switching on, then held down another button when switching on - think it was right, and the screen came alive in retro glory)

Just need to either mod for euro cables, or build an adapter :)

honeymustard

Congrats on getting it working. I switched between 15 and 31khz and couldn't seem to get either working  :'(

hellbelly

It was probably your PSU tbh.  I tried it with a 12v psu and yes, it would power up but my monitor couldn't detect any signal.  At the moment it's running from a 15v regulated Toshiba laptop power supply that I put the correct sized plug on.  I have got an official PSU on the way, which I'm curious what voltage it does output, especially if it's unregulated.

Ta
Pete