Best gaming solution for a digital projector?

Started by cyphatic, April 18, 2005, 05:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphatic

I've gone up and down in my gaming interests, but when I start my new job in the fall, I want to start collecting systems I don't already have, and getting the best possible signal out of them.

I plan to do the RGB mods that this wonderful site has the info for, and use them with a reference monitor like one of the NEC MultiScan's that seem so popular here.

But my main viewing setup will be a digital projector, probably DLP or a very new gen LCD/LCOS.

From what I've read here and been recomended by certain friends (read, nearly beaten to death with) is that RGB is the best.  But I have yet to find a digital projector that supports it on any input, be it component/component bnc/bnc-15/whatever.

NEC seems to at least have RGB info in the specs for their popular HT-1100 DLP Projector, but

"Synchronization
Range Horizontal 15 kHz to 100 kHz (RGB : 24 kHz or over)"

negates the ability to receive the 15kHz signal from consoles, as I understand it.

So what's the best option?  I've heard about xRGB's not working too well with digital displays (though I have a xRGB2 (+ <sigh>) to test this with), Should I just be settling for the standard composite/svideo/component inputs on the projector?

Cause if that's the case, I may as well go with emulation for the projector side (hey, I'll own all the original carts for playing on the Multi-Scan TV, so it will be gray area legal), since I can at least get sharp pixels instead of the terrible blurry upscanning most digital units do.

Unless there's some holy grail in digital projectors that I've missed, or something.

Any info on the subject would be appreciated, though this is more of just a collection of thoughts.

Endymion

If you are American and live in America, or anywhere that NTSC is the norm, the best and simplest option, I am sad to say, is to have multiple screens--get yourself one good component-capable HDTV set, and another good, large RGB monitor. The HDTV/component part will be easy, those are everywhere. The RGB part will be more obscure, but ebay is your friend. You can get anything from a 20 to 40 inch monitor suitable for 15KHz RGB there.

Some may even work with VGA levels, which means they can drive the component/progressive games of newer consoles, in which case you could drop about 500 bucks on an RGB+VGA montor and forget about HDTV unless you wanted one specifically for its features (interlaced component, 16:9 widescreen, etc. etc.).

phreak97

you can buy anything on the internet, import one. my college has an rgb compatable projector which works from regular rgb levels all the way up to vga, so theyre not unheard of.