Sega Mega Drive RGB to Composite Mod

Started by mjr4077au, February 23, 2006, 05:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjr4077au

Hello, I wish to do the mods on this page: Mega Drive 1 Switches

All-in-all, 50-60Hz switches etc.

But my problem is that this guy says I need to use RGB, most likely in the form of SCART but in Australia, SCART is a little hard to come by.

Is this true, Do I need to use RGB? If so, what can I do to get out of it (ie. RGB to composite, RGB to S-Video). I will do anything aslong as it doesn't require a RF adapter.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Midori

If you perform that mod you'll indeed need a RGB cable to get colors(the original Hz of your console will still be color and the new mode you ad with the Hz mod will be black and white thorugh a composite lead) without any further modifications to the console. However it seems like Phreak97 actually had a mod for getting color with a composite lead aswell. I'll post it here:

Quoteyou will need:
Crystal (4.433619MHz for PAL or 3.579545MHz for NTSC)
50pF variable capacitor (trimmer)
15k resistor
30pF capacitor

and pasted from my AIM logs (looking at the CXA-1145 or CXA-1145P Chip) :
Now, using good RF construction practices (keep cables as short and direct as possible, and solder as much to the board as you can), solder one end of the 30pf cap to pin 5. Solder the other end to the crystal. Solder the other end of the crystal to pin 6. Then solder the resistor from ground (pin 1) to pin 5. Then the variable capacitor or fixed capacitor substitute from ground (pin 1) to pin 6.

check the resistance of pin 7 to ground with a multimeter.. if it's 0 ohms it is easyer to connect the variable capacitor between pins 6 and 7 than between pins 6 and 1. im not sure what condition the pin is normally in, as i already played around with it then linked it to pin 1 to put ground back to it afterwards.

after all that, play with the variable cap with something non-metallic until you get a clean picture.