Survey: For sale posts, round three

Started by kendrick, December 25, 2007, 03:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kendrick

A post from a brand new user prompts me to survey informally our user base on issues of posting etiquette. We've discussed the idea of a separate forum here at GamesX to facilitate buying and selling among our members. However, the post over at the RGB forum is nothing more than a link to an external auction site. I don't have a problem with this per se, but I do prefer that people build up some posting history before doing so.

Is there enough interest from people who might be buyers? I'm thinking about modeling our rules on the buy/sell forum over at Assembler Games, with all its commensurate protections and requirements. I don't think there's enough interest to justify a separate forum at this point, but I'm willing to entertain some new discussion. No poll, to encourage some actual discourse.

ken_cinder

I think a seperate forum with a minimum posting requirement is the best way to go. At least then you know the user has some interest here and isn't just looking for another advertising spot.

Having that forum hidden until the user reaches x posts is a good idea too.
The only Buy and Sell forum I've made more than 1 time use of are the BST forums at Xbox-Scene.com and I think they have a pretty good system in place given the huge number of users there.

phreak97

i've bought a few items out of the buy/selll area on the digitpress.com forums, it seems to work well there. id quite likely make use of such a thing here too.
i dont know about hiding the forum until you hit however many posts, but i do think it would be a good idea to make it read only until you have a minimum of x posts.. otherwise potential buyers will get shut out too.

really this place has always been a casual not too busy forum.. having only a few people making use of anything has never really stopped us trying things before, why should it now? i say implement it and see how it goes, im expecting some fairly different items for sale in comparison to other places.