Dreamcast to Official PSone LCD Screen

Started by Kron, January 19, 2004, 05:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kron

Im in the process of ordering parts to create my own "high quality" style Treamcast Dreamcast + screen all in one.

The PSone official screen was an obvious choice due to its nice sharp vibrant RGB display, If I create a custom connection that incorpoates the DCs RGB pin out to the PSone Screen input will I have any major problems to overcome or is it just a case of looking at the diagrams of both for RGB and solder wires to each seperate pin plate connectors?

seen

Should be a simple connection. Check out my site for some RGB interfacing to the PSOne LCD http://pages.prodigy.net/tan.ax/.

Good Luck

eek

I hope you're not using a PAL Dreamcast and PAL PSOne Sony LCD, because the PAL Sony LCD does not support 60Hz.

Suicyco

QuoteI hope you're not using a PAL Dreamcast and PAL PSOne Sony LCD, because the PAL Sony LCD does not support 60Hz.
Does anyone know if the official Sony LCD screen can be modded to sync to 60Hz? At least some of the 3rd party screens are multisync.

Tom61

QuoteI hope you're not using a PAL Dreamcast and PAL PSOne Sony LCD, because the PAL Sony LCD does not support 60Hz.
Does anyone know if the official Sony LCD screen can be modded to sync to 60Hz? At least some of the 3rd party screens are multisync.
We'd have to know what controller chip it used inside. It might be a simple connect this pin to that one to select between 50Hz and 60Hz and/or PAL and NTSC. If you have one and have taken it apart, see if you can find the datasheet for the chip(s) inside.

AntiPasta

Lo folks. My first post on this board. Yoroshiku :)

Speaking of the official PSone LCD,  I got mine by mail a few days ago, and I like it very much.  So much better than my previous 3rd-party screen  B)
Anyway, so far I have only used it with my PSone but I did notice an AV-in connector.  Can I just plug composite-output devices into it using a 2xRCA-to-3.5mm stereo plug? That used to work on my previous screen, but for some reason the official one won't switch on (manual states it should do this automatically) when I connect something to it. Note this is without being connected to my PSone, maybe that is the problem? I'd hate to desolder an AV-out connector from one of my dead PSX'es just to plug my (composite-using) SMS into the thing...
Thanks in advance.

eek

<i>. Can I just plug composite-output devices into it using a 2xRCA-to-3.5mm stereo plug? That used to work on my previous screen, but for some reason the official one won't switch on (manual states it should do this automatically) when I connect something to it. Note this is without being connected to my PSone, maybe that is the problem?</i>

I have used a 2xRCA to stereo 3.5mm successfully with the Official Sony PS1 screen (red plug gives video, white audio), so it should work. I had the screen attached to a PS1, but I can't see why it wouldn't work when not.  

AntiPasta

Thanks! I'll try it later today and report back :)

Suicyco

QuoteWe'd have to know what controller chip it used inside. It might be a simple connect this pin to that one to select between 50Hz and 60Hz and/or PAL and NTSC. If you have one and have taken it apart, see if you can find the datasheet for the chip(s) inside.
I had a friend open up the PAL screen and he couldn't find any adjustments for the sync. These possibly relevant chips were found inside:
MN5814A, AN2526NFH, LST50TB
Quick Googling didn't produce any freely available datasheets.

seen

To eek and AntiPasta: DO NOT DO THIS. Look at the ring assignments for the 3.5mm plug here: http://freespace.virgin.net/matt.waite/res.../av/4poleav.htm

If you use a regular stereo jack, you'll only get mono sound. Just go to an electronics store and get a camcorder cable. Like those monster cables.

eek

seen: It's okay, it won't break the screen or anything. It's just a cheap and nasty way to get composite video and sound on the screen. The audio being mono doesn't really matter either, seeing as the screen speakers are so lame in quality.