Sony PVM-20M2MDU Monitor 15 khz?

Started by skforty, August 19, 2009, 09:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skforty

Ive tried to find out if this monitor supports 15 khz, but all the specs ive found, dont mention it, or im not understanding.

Here is a link to this monitor, http://www.bcs.tv/store/model_detail.cfm?id=665572

It seems as though the 2030, or the 2530 are the preferred PVM monitors but i found a good deal on this one and was hoping it would work.

I have 4 1084 monitors.  2 normal, 2 1084s-d1 as well as an older sony RGB.  Problem is they are only 13''.  I would like something bigger.

Thanks for the help!

RGB32E

Sony hasn't posted the manual for this monitor on their site.  However, as a rule of thumb, if a Sony PVM monitor has an analog RGB input, it will be a suitable monitor for old-school RGB gaming (ie. 15.75kHz).  

However, one word of caution.  The picture might be fairly soft if the monitor has spent most of it's life already...  :-\  I had picked up a PVM-1954Q on the cheap, and ended up selling it since the picture was soft from use.  However, my low mileage PVM-2030 is still fairly sharp (for a CRT).

Looks like this model in particular uses 4 BNCs for its analog RGB input.  Purchasing a BNC to DB15 breakout might make cable construction easier!
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10203&cs_id=1020304&p_id=563&seq=1&format=2

skforty

Thanks for the advice.  I went ahead and got the monitor.  All my previous cables were db9 for the analog RGB inputs of my commodore monitors. Luckily I already had a vga/bnc breakout, so using your advice i used that cable, then i made DB9 to VGA adapter, and a component cable input to VGA.  Now i can just leave the bnc breakout cable in, and when i want to hook up any system RGB i use the DB9, and if i want component, i just use the other one, but i never have to change anything on the back of the monitor.  And you were absolutely right, it syncs at 15.75.  It looks amazing, i didnt think it would be THAT much better than my 1084s's but it is.  Thanks again for the advice, good times :)

solid12345

I just discovered this site and literally bought this monitor a few weeks back to replace my broken WG 9800 monitor for my MAME cab.

I have an arcade VGA card that can output 15khz, and I bought a DB-15 to 5 BNC cable, but since there is 4 inputs and 5 cables, which do I use, do I plug the white cord or the black cord into the Ext Sync port?

Only reason I ask a silly question is my cab is at a friend's house currently and don't want to go lugging the monitor over there until I am sure it will work for it.

RGB32E

Quote from: solid12345 on August 26, 2009, 01:32:56 PMI have an arcade VGA card that can output 15khz, and I bought a DB-15 to 5 BNC cable, but since there is 4 inputs and 5 cables, which do I use, do I plug the white cord or the black cord into the Ext Sync port?

The BNC that normally carries H SYNC (pin 13 from the vga connector) is what should be connected to the PVM.  However, you'll have to figure out if you can set the video card to output composite sync (instead of separate H and V syncs) if you don't get it working the first time.  Otherwise there's a simple circuit to create a composite sync from H and V syncs.

skforty

Hey, just plug the white into sync input, and the black right next to it for ground.

See the attached picture.

Also make sure that in the options, you set RGB-A to EXT SYNC its the 3rd option down.

Enjoy!

RGB32E

Quote from: skforty on August 27, 2009, 06:25:40 AM
Hey, just plug the white into sync input, and the black right next to it for ground.

See the attached picture.

Also make sure that in the options, you set RGB-A to EXT SYNC its the 3rd option down.

Enjoy!

WHAT????  Connect Vertical Sync from the video card to the sync OUTPUT connection???  Where did you come up with that foul idea???

skforty

Well, i have an arcade to VGA card.  I have a VGA/BNC breakout cable.  When i hook up the R G B and SYNC to the R G B and SYNC to the input of the monitor it shows a picture but rolls a bit, when i connect the black to any of the OUTPUT lines in RGB -A it looks gorgeous.  I think its because the monitor syncs fine with H sync from the arcade2vga card, and gets a ground from the V on the output?  

Not sure why, but i can show you a picture of it connected exactly that way, working brilliantly.  I guess i got that "Foul idea" from "My Perfectly working setup that is hooked up exactly as shown with the exact monitor that he has and exact colored vga/bnc breakout cable and exact arcade2vga card".

solid12345

Hmm conflicting info but hey I say whatever works.

RGB32E

Quote from: solid12345 on August 27, 2009, 10:20:01 AM
Hmm conflicting info but hey I say whatever works.

If that does indeed work, connecting the vertical sync to the output creates the effective sync combining circuit, then... ok???  It just isn't the ideal way to go about combining H&V syncs....

RGB32E

Quote from: skforty on August 27, 2009, 06:25:40 AM

The "white" lead provides connections for horizontal sync and ground.

The "black" lead provides connections for vertical sync and ground.

Without the vertical sync, the picture rolls...  This explains the described rolling of the picture without the black lead (vertical sync) connected - not because it provides ground!  :-X