Stupid SCSI mistake - need some help!

Started by fandenivoldsk, November 01, 2014, 10:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fandenivoldsk

I had been using an external PCMCIA adapter called MCDISK together with a Sharp CZ-6BS1 pcb on my XVI Compact for some time now, and it works really well. Lately I also got a Sharp CZ-6BM1 MIDI pcb and a XSIMM10 RAM pcb, so I can get the most out of the system. All pcbs work well, but the problem is the the XVI Compact only have two slots inside, so I can not have all 3 pcbs in use at once. I have therefore brought an ASA561 SCSI cable, so I can use the internal SCSI input on the back of my XVI Compact instead of the CZ-6BS1 pcb. So now my setup is a XVI Compact with a MCDISK, CZ-6BM1 and XSIMM10. And it works great!

However, yesterday I made a huge mistake, and tried to experiment with a SCSI CD-ROM I found, and tried to daisy chain it to the second (unused) SCSI port on the back of my MCDISK. The idea was that I could have both PCMCIA card and CD-rom access at the same time. But the result is that I can not get the XVI Compact to see or boot from MCDISK anymore. I don't know if it is the internal SCSI input on the back of my XVI Compact that is damaged or if it is the MCDISK, but it looks like the stupid idea with the SCSI CD-ROM somehow did break something. I then tried to put my Sharp CZ-6BS1 pcb back inside, and try to boot the MCDISK that way, but also without any luck.

What do you guys think? Is the internal SCSI damaged? Or is it the MCDISK? Any tools I can use to repair and/or check the SCSI connection? So far I have tried commands Recover (no SCSI drive found), SWITCH (changed boot settings, but no luck) and reset the SRAM (no effect).

If I can't get it to work myself, does anyone here do repairs on X68000 in europe?

caius

http://www.mpl.ch/t2300.html

I don't think you could have damaged your setup.Anyway, if you can, try to connect the MCDISK to a PC using a SCSI controller and see if it works.

fandenivoldsk

Yes, I agree. I think it is the MCDISK that is damaged.I will try to find an old PC with SCSI and try it out. If so, I will see if MPL will repair the MCDISK for me.