RGB with Xbox 360 on psone LCD

Started by galloups, March 03, 2010, 11:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galloups

Hi everybody! :)
I'm trying to put my xbox 360 on my psone LCD screen right now. The xbox 360 is a PAL version (france) and my psone LCD screen is PAL too.
By now, the xbox 360 works on composite (yellow cable) i had to put PAL 50Hz to make it works and thanks god Street Fighter 4 is supporting this frequency. Maybe later i will buy a JAP psone lcd to get 60hz anyway...

I read stuff on the web to get it work with RGB, but i have problem finding what to put on C SYNC
Here is my xbox 360 RGB cable :

The psone LCD pinout :

Here is what i was planning to do :

I though it was all to connect in RGB but i saw they talk about C Sync... what is it? where can i get it on my xbox 360 cable? from the yellow composite one?

Midori

What is the purpose of this? If you want a portable screen for your 360 there is a much better choice out there than the PSone screen :-)

In this thread here on another forum it is shown that the joytech screen for the PStwo accepts VGA at 640x480 @ 60 Hz.

Arcadecontrols forum link: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=5296a5151974892ba5cd4527625be5d2&topic=100551.0

That would give a massive image quality boost for usage with a 360 and support all games and not just the ones which can do 50 Hz. Just a tip.

What you are doing right now won't work. You have a component cable, although it perhaps could be modified but you should just get a RGB scart cable and mod that one to work with the PSone instead.

Do these PSone monitors only accept either 50 or 60 Hz and not both? True shame if that is indeed the situation...

galloups

The lcd screen has been put into a video projector home made.

Video of it playing sf4 here : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SXQO6NVN

The purpose is not to have a portable screen for my 360 put to play on a 2m diagonal ;D
I don't care about the resolution right now, you can see the actual result in composite is good enough for me, so RGB the better.

Why do you say it won't work? I saw a lot of people having done this lcd screen works on RGB, i just ask for where to get the C synch because i'm kind of noob in video signal...

Midori

I am saying it won't work because you are trying to get RGB from a cable that doesn't output RGB :-) That is the problem.

You have a component video cable, if I am not mistaken you suspect that the Green cable outputs Green video signal, Blue outputs blue and Red Outputs Red.

That is wrong, it is a component Cable. The Green one outputs Luma for example. Which is brightness and sync information. Here, read about the signals your cable outputs on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YPbPr

About your question on composite sync: The composite video signal contains composite sync, you should try to just connect the composite video to the composite sync input and the screen could most likely strip the sync information it needs from the composite video. That is how most TVs work and I suspect that the PSone works so aswell. Especially since the PSone doesn't even output composite sync.

That is a really fancy projector by the way :-)

galloups

Damn i thought it was a RGB cable, thanks for learning me xD
So if i understand, in term of image quality, the RGB is the best, then come the YPbPr, then S-Video, and last composite, right?
By now i can't really buy a new screen, so i'll stick with the psone lcd.

I should be able to find a RGB cable for my xbox 360, do you think it's the better choice?

Midori

Easy mistake :-)

RGB is superior, at least if we are talking analog devices.  So your logic there is correct.

And yes, a RGB cable for the 360 would play along nicely with you PSone screen, it's a better choice.

galloups

Ok!
I found someone willing to sell me his official xbox 360 RGB cable.
But i read this : http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3391
QuoteI bought it 'cause it had all the teeth in it.  Despite what Ben Heck says, the standard Xbox AV cable no longer has all the connectors, so it wasn't any good to me.  I took the Power Wave cable apart with a flat screwdriver - it's glued together but comes apart easily enough.  Inside it was really easy to re-use.  Remove the protective tape and all the pins are ready for re-use.

If i understand all (i'm not english ^^') he say the official RGB cable couln't be used like i want to do? Or is it something else? Which connectors are missing? ???

Midori

You don't need to worry about that.

About the missing teeth, Lawerence there is talking about making a RGB cable from the non-RGB cable that you get with the console, but it is missing the connections(called teeth here) so he had to buy a proper RGB cable instead.

So you should do that to, just buy a RGB cable. It will have everything you want :-)

galloups

I can have a official xbox 360 RGB cable for 10€ shipped, i think that's not a bad deal.

So i looked a little and think i will do like this :

Does it appear good to you? I dunno if i mistaken between pin 19 or 20 for the C sync.

Midori

Composite sync/composite video is on pin 20 in the scart, not 19. So you need to swap that. Also you should have a ground wire from the scart aswell, otherwise the colours might be wrong and other strange things you don't want :-)

Else than that it looks good to me!

galloups

Thanks, , i swapped 19 to 20 and i added the ground, but not sure if it's correct!

Ocelot85

I have done something similar to this. I connected my PS3 (PAL) to my PSOne Screen (PAL) with a PS Component Cable and it worked fine, a nice RGB picture.

As I remember I fed the Composite video signal into the composite sync in and it worked fine.

And I think that composite sync has to go into Pin 5 on the PSOne screen rather than pin 6 which is suggested here. ( I think this is because NTSC uses pin 6 where PAL uses pin 5 for composite sync).

One thing to remember is that the PSone screen works like SCART devices as it needs +5volts . (this goes to pin 10 on the PSone screen).
for the +5volts I used a Battery pack, as the component cables don't supply this.

All that was left to do was connect the R, G, and B lines from the component cable to the PSOne screen, oh the audio too. Speaking of Audio, I believe that the left and right audio out are mislabeled here: http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/psxav.htm I believe they should be the other way around.

I'm not sure how X360 component cables compare to PS component cables, but in the case of the PS3\PS2 you can tell the PS3\PS2 to output RGB over the component lines. (that way you have everything you need bar the +5volts).

But if you have a X360 SCART cable use that instead because it will have everything you need, like the +5volts.

I think I mentioned everything important that I know about getting RGB to work on the PSOne screen, Good Luck!

galloups

Quote from: Ocelot85 on March 05, 2010, 10:38:55 PM
And I think that composite sync has to go into Pin 5 on the PSOne screen rather than pin 6 which is suggested here. ( I think this is because NTSC uses pin 6 where PAL uses pin 5 for composite sync).

I don't follow you on this, look the picture again?  ???
Else i know that +5V can be caught on the LCD PCB somewhere, no need of a battery!
But i think it's for the light behind the lcd that you need this, i don't as it is for a videoprojector, i allready have my light behind (halogene 250W)

Thanks for your advices ;)

Ocelot85

Just to clarify, you are using a Sony PSOne Screen?

I was talking about my experience with the PSOne screen connected to a PS3, so things may differ a little as you are using an XBox360.

Looking at the picture in your first post, I can honestly say I have no idea what's going on. I'll Explain.

The picture says 'psone LCD pinout' 'Slot 1 and slot 2' but PSOne screens have only one input slot and a separate composite in on the back.
So I figure that Slot 2 refers to the XBOX360, correct? I would think so because the PSOne screen has a 12 pin input and slot 2 in your picture only has 10 pins.
Therfore slot 2 connot be the PSOne. So slot 1 must be the PSOne screen input pinout, but the pinout described in the Slot 1 pinout does not resemble the standard PlayStation AV pinout, this is where I get very confused and wonder if that picture serves any purpose in your post. Sorry if I sound snarky. I must be missing something, please point it out to me because I won't find it out on my own.
Looking at slot 2 I don't think it could be the Xbox360 either, hmmm... What are these two pinouts of?

I'm starting to think that you are going to solder directly to the PSONE screen internally. If so then you probably will be able to get the +5volts you'll need like you mentioned. So you're right that you won't need a battery.

If you want to view X360 on a PSOne Screen all you have to do is connect the output pins from your 360 (R,G,B,+5volts,Left,Right,Composite,Gnd) to the corresponding input pins on the PSOne screen. The PSOne screen pin out/ pin in can be found here: http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/psxav.htm
That should be all there is to it, it's all I did to get PS3 working on it (didn't even need any 220 uf caps).
Good Luck!

galloups

Quote from: Ocelot85 on March 06, 2010, 06:29:30 PM
The picture says 'psone LCD pinout' 'Slot 1 and slot 2' but PSOne screens have only one input slot and a separate composite in on the back.
So I figure that Slot 2 refers to the XBOX360, correct?
lol nooo :o
The two slots are inside the box of the screen.

And RGB is a standard, i won't be different for ps3 or xbox 360, it will be exactly the same pinout.

Quote from: Ocelot85 on March 06, 2010, 06:29:30 PM
I'm starting to think that you are going to solder directly to the PSONE screen internally.
That's it ;D

Ocelot85

Ahhh, that make sense! I was beginning to think you had some special PSOne screen. Oh I tested my PSOne screen today and it's not capable of 60Hz, so you will have to get an NTSC one to do that.

Just to clarify, when I said that the Xbox 360 maybe different than the PS3 I meant that PS3 can be configured to output RGB over component cable and I am unsure if Xbox 360 can be configured to do the same. I mentioned this because you originally said you were going to use a Component cable, but if you've got a SCART cable then you won't have to worry about that.

Does that pinout you posted pertain to the PAL screen or the NTSC one? I'm interested in knowing if there are any differences between the two.

So did you get it all working?

galloups

i don't have an ntsc screen yet, i'm looking for one to have 60Hz.
A have a pal by now. So also 50Hz. The game i want to play on (sf4) is 50Hz compatible, and have a good 50 Hz mode, good job capcom :D
They are only few 360 games compatible 50Hz.

I will use the official xbox 360 RGB cable so it will swap alone on RGB setting ^^

QuoteI meant that PS3 can be configured to output RGB over component cable
I'm really not sure it's trully RGB by doing that?

For the xbox 360 its the cable who decide the video mode so i can't.

I think the pinout is the same for pal and ntsc, just a 60Hz/50Hz difference but not sure...

Midori

Quote from: galloups on March 07, 2010, 05:40:08 AM

Correct, a few "select" pins which are either connected to ground or not decide what the 360 outputs. A component cable can be hacked on the connector to output RGB(At least I think so, you can do that with the First Xbox) but I felt that it was a bit to much work and since I havn't tried it myself even I just thought it would be best to just leave it out.

RGB32E

Quote from: Midori on March 08, 2010, 08:14:36 AM
Quote from: galloups on March 07, 2010, 05:40:08 AM

Correct, a few "select" pins which are either connected to ground or not decide what the 360 outputs. A component cable can be hacked on the connector to output RGB(At least I think so, you can do that with the First Xbox) but I felt that it was a bit to much work and since I havn't tried it myself even I just thought it would be best to just leave it out.

Yes, the Xbox and Xbox 360 both utilize the "output mode select" pins.  I've built 15kHz cables for both Xbox and Xbox 360 systems.  The Xbox AV plugs can be reused (both 1/360) given that no required pins are missing from the respective connector. 

360 AV pinout and mode chart:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:xbox360av

galloups

I know that in composite mode, the psone lcd screen output 320x240 resolution
Will it be higher en RGB? like 640x480? Or is this screen capped to 320x240? ???

i found this :
Quotethe LCD was stated to run under 640x480i resolution.
What does it mean? is it some kind of mix betwen 320x240 and 640x480?

Midori

The resolution is the same in RGB and composite.

The PSone screen has a fixed resolution since it is a LCD screen, if it is 320x240 it will always display 320x240.  If a higher or lower resolution is input then it will simply be converted to 320x240 before it is displayed.

"i" stands for interlaced. Interlaced video looks worse in general than progressive video. Simple rule :-) If you want to know more about interlacing read on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace or google it. Although you shouldn't bother with it here, it's not very relevant to this mod, other than that you'll have to swap your PSone LCD for one like that I linked to before to be able to display progressive resolutions(other than 240P of course, but the 360 can't output that).

zeratulbla

Hola soy Meta y soy de peru lima, e estado experimentando con esta pantalla de Ps1 LCD, Ps1 LCD acepta 100% señal RGB, y Xbox 360 es totalmente compatible con esta pantalla y viceversa, Para hacerlo tienes que juntar el RGB de el ps1 lcd con el RGB de el Xbox 360, y a cada señal ponerle un condensador de 220 faradios electrolitico, y juntar la señal SYNC de el LCD con el SYNC de el Xbox este ultimo con un condensador de 220 Faradios electrolitico mas una resistencia de 75 ohms de 1/4.
--------------------------
Hello I'm from peru Meta and lime, and been experimenting with this LCD screen Ps1, Ps1 agree 100% LCD RGB signal, and Xbox 360 is fully compatible with this screen and vice versa, do you have to join for the RGB of the ps1 lcd RGB with the Xbox 360, and each signal to put a 220 farad capacitor electrolyte, and collect the signal SYNC SYNC LCD with Xbox latter with a 220 farad electrolytic capacitor plus a resistor of 75 ohms of 1 / 4.