making first RGB cables and needs some advice/help

Started by matth, September 24, 2008, 01:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matth

Hello everyone, this is my first post here so take it easy on me :)

I have been reading this forum for a while now and have decided to try and make my own RGB cables/adapter.  This is the equipment that I currently have and what I believe is the best option, please chime in with suggestions and corrections.

Items I have:

Sony GVM-2020 RGB monitor
USA SNES v1
USA Saturn
Sony PS1/PS2

I would like to connect my consoles to the D-sub 9 pin RGB input on the back on this monitor.  Please let me know if the following setup is the best way to do it.

Items to purchase:

1. Purchase SCART RGB cables for the SNES, Saturn and PS1/PS2
2. Purchase SCART switch box
3. Purchase SCART RGB to SCART RGB cable
4. Purchase 9 pin D-Sub male connector from Radio Shack

Steps to perform:

1. Take the SCART to SCART cable and chop off one end of it (or desoder the leads on one end of the cable).
2. Wire the 9 pin D-Sub male connector with the cable from the SCART connector, which I cut off, to match the monitor signal.
3. Enjoy the RGB picture!?

A few questions:

1. How will I get sound from the consoles since the 9 pin D-Sub connector on the monitor only accepts video signals?  1b. If I purchase a SCART switchbox that has audio out, via RCA plugs, can I just wire a pair of speakers to these plugs and get sound from the consoles?  If not, how do I get sound from the consoles?
3. If I cut the one end off of the SCART cable, how do I know which wire carries which signal to the 9 pin D-sub male connector?

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Matt

NFG

Quote1. How will I get sound from the consoles since the 9 pin D-Sub connector on the monitor only accepts video signals?  1b. If I purchase a SCART switchbox that has audio out, via RCA plugs, can I just wire a pair of speakers to these plugs and get sound from the consoles?  If not, how do I get sound from the consoles?
3. If I cut the one end off of the SCART cable, how do I know which wire carries which signal to the 9 pin D-sub male connector?

1. I usually have a couple of female RCA connectors dangling out of the DB9 or SCART connector, into which you plug your RCA cables to the stereo.  You could also use a headphone connector, or whatever you've got lying around.

1b. Probably?  I guess it depends on the box itself.  If you're using SCART cables and the box is also SCART (ie: neither is weird, non-standard or J-RGB) then it'll probably be fine.

2. What happened to 2?

3. Open up the other end and have a look.  SCART connectors can be opened and closed easily, most of the time.

matth

Thanks Lawrence for the response.

This is the switchbox that I am looking at.  It looks like it has audio out on the left-hand side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-way-Scart-Cable-input-output-Multiple-Switch-Box-US_W0QQitemZ330273600725QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330273600725&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

From your experience are the wires color coded in some scart cables? If not, and I chop off one end of the scart connector how will I know what pins on the D-Sub 9 pin the loose wires go to?

2 was changed to 1b and I forgot to change 3 to 2.   

RGB32E

In case you need the pinout of the RGB input on the GVM-2020:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/GVM2020.PDF
(bottom half of page 9)

matth

What wires from the scart cable do I need to solder to the connector on the monitor besides the R, G, and B wires?  There is H/HV and V. but I on the Scart schematic I do not see those labelled. Do I need to worry about Composite Sync signal?

RGB32E

Quote from: matth on September 25, 2008, 05:40:06 AM
What wires from the scart cable do I need to solder to the connector on the monitor besides the R, G, and B wires?  There is H/HV and V. but I on the Scart schematic I do not see those labelled. Do I need to worry about Composite Sync signal?
Ground, R, G, B, and composite sync.  You'll want to connect the composite sync (video) from the SCART cable to pin 8 on the sony (H/HV pin).
Also, it would be worth your while to pick up a multimeter (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103174&cp=&sr=1&kw=multimeter&origkw=multimeter&parentPage=search) so that you can check continuity (what connects to what).

SCART pinout: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scart
I cannot determine whether or not the switcher will output composite sync (video) on pin 20 or 19 - since there are in/out connections for some signals on the scart connector.

RGB32E

I hope this clarifies...  ???
Also, most all SCART cables do not send CSYNC output or have wiring for modification, so you'll need a sync stripper IF your particular sony monitor does not strip the sync from composite video.  Most Sony monitors (e.g. PVM series) will allow for composite video to be fed into the monitor as sync...

matth

On page 7 of the Sony manual it talks about Composite Sync, does is say whether the monitor strips the sync signal?

Do I need all 4 ground connections and where does the 21 pin on the SCART connector attach to on the D-sub 9 pin connector?

Thanks for the link to the multimeter and the diagram!

RGB32E

Quote from: matth on September 25, 2008, 08:26:39 AM
On page 7 of the Sony manual it talks about Composite Sync, does is say whether the monitor strips the sync signal?
No, none of the Sony PVM/GVM manuals indicate that it is ok to connect composite video in leu of composite sync (even though it works just fine).  Its just one of those "see if this works" kind of thing...  :-\

Do I need all 4 ground connections and where does the 21 pin on the SCART connector attach to on the D-sub 9 pin connector?
Just one connection is needed (but make sure that the ground is connected to the pin you're trying to get it from though).

Thanks for the link to the multimeter and the diagram!
No problem  :P

matth

So before I go and purchase all the above equipment, I have decided to try and make my japanese SNES RGB  cable work with my monitor first.

I was going to plug the one end into my SNES and then solder wire from each of the male pins on the J-RGB end to the Dsub 9 connector and attached to the monitor.  Will this work?  and if so, do I only need to wire the R,G, B, Sync and ground connection from the J-RGB cable to the Dsub 9 pin connector?  Also, what is the ground pin on the J-RGB cable?