Wii component cables

Started by Irongiant, December 31, 2007, 12:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irongiant

Why is it that some 3rd party component cables won't work correctly with some of the Wii's 'Virtual Console' games, yet the same games work fine with Nintendo's official component cable?

What is likely to be so different between the cables? Something to do with the wiring in the connector that plugs into the Wii perhaps?

Thanks

knohbody

I think this has more to do with the monitor than the cables. The virtual console games tend to display in their natural resolution, which some hdtvs don't like in progressive scan because they're expecting a certain resolution (i.e. 640x480 in 480p) but they're getting something like 256x224 (for NES games, as an example).

There's supposedly a "fix" for the neo-geo games. Don't know if it applies to the other consoles as well.

• Load the VC game (Neo Geo)
  • Hit the Home button (this will bring up the home menu even if you can't see the game)
  • Select the manual for the game
  • Hold "Z", "A", and "2" (you need both the wiimote and the nunchuck)
  • You should hear a confirmation ding

Note that i haven't tested this for the neo-geo or any other game, but the word is that you have to do it for each individual game. The setting should hold for the game indefinitely or at least till you reset your settings.
Also, I'm not entirely sure how this fixes it. It may just be turning off progressive scan and forcing into 480i. Give it a shot and let us know.

Irongiant

Thanks. Yup, tried the 'fix' but no luck.

I do think it is the cable, simply because I've read quite a few reports where people say that their 3rd party component cable didn't work with some Virtual Console games yet worked fine with an official Nintendo component cable.

knohbody

Out of curiosity, which console's games are you having problems with? I only have NES and N64 games currently, and they both seem to work with my 3rd party component cables (penguin united).

Irongiant

I only have two VC games - R-Type for the PC Engine/Turbo Grafx and Paper Mario for the N64. R-Type works perfectly (pitting about the anti-aliasing though!) but Paper Mario won't display anything at all (but I do get sound).

knohbody

That's very strange, as the N64 games are supposed to have been updated to display at 640x480. Are you using 480p or 480i? What happens when you change from one mode to the other?
EDIT: Also, what brand are the component cables you're using, and the brand of the tv? Can you borrow a component cable from a friend, or use your cable on a different tv to rule out one or the other?