Sega Saturn Power supply Dead, can it be fixed?

Started by Retronerd, May 07, 2009, 06:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retronerd

Hey! i have a problem with my white Sega Saturn v2, The Power supply is dead, So i took the case of to investigate, and i saw that the fuse was blown so i replaced it and when i turn on the saturn i saw a flash and the new fuse burned.

the Power supply is 110w jap and i have a step down adapter, i live in Europe.

any idea?    Below is 2 photos!

http://www.pici.se/404899/?size=fullsize
http://www.pici.se/404900/?size=fullsize

Tiido Priimägi

replace the fuse with a screw and turn it on, when you see smoke coming its good time to unplug the unit.... the part resonsible for the issue should still be smoking when you look at it :P
Then you know what the part is and you can try finding a replacement... also, it is good idea to check surrounding parts and test them out, otherwise your replacement part will burn again.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

viletim

Retronerd,

Japan runs on 100v AC. If you were powering it with an EU (230V) -> USA (120V) stepdown transformer that might have led to it's premature death.

When a power supply fails like this it usually means the switching transistor has failed. It often takes with it some surrounding components like the bridge rectifier, driving circuit, etc. Ignore the advice from Tiido, unless you want to start a fire in your Saturn.

Tiido Priimägi

fire is always fun :P

I have 1 board with an exploded switching transistor...

Retronerd

Quote from: Tiido Priimägi on May 07, 2009, 08:25:59 AM
replace the fuse with a screw and turn it on, when you see smoke coming its good time to unplug the unit.... the part resonsible for the issue should still be smoking when you look at it :P
Then you know what the part is and you can try finding a replacement... also, it is good idea to check surrounding parts and test them out, otherwise your replacement part will burn again.

Are you serious, that sounds dangerous?

ken_cinder

I have a power supply from a PAL unit, someone here was going to buy the CDROM I also have and I was going to just give them the power supply too, but I haven't heard back in awhile.

If anyone wants it, cover the shipping and it's yours.

Tiido Priimägi

Quote from: Retronerd on May 07, 2009, 04:02:19 PMAre you serious, that sounds dangerous?

no, not too serious, as viletim said, you can create a bonfire out of your Saturn...

Quote from: IJTF_Cinder on May 08, 2009, 01:55:31 AM
I have a power supply from a PAL unit, someone here was going to buy the CDROM I also have and I was going to just give them the power supply too, but I haven't heard back in awhile.

if I'd not be broke, I'd get them from you....

Retronerd

Quote from: IJTF_Cinder on May 08, 2009, 01:55:31 AM

I WANT IT you have PM!