External SCSI card reader issue

Started by pmack, October 01, 2013, 08:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmack

Hello all

I have a CF card reader and it works great with my XVI. I recently got a compact XVI and even though I run switch.x and set BOOT to SCSI0, the computer does not boot to the reader.

Is there any utility for me to test the connection between the computer and the CF reader? I assume this has to be some issue with the cable (cables are different due to different connectors for the compact) - any other idea of what could be causing this?

Thanks

SuperDeadite

under switch, do you have the SCSI set to 7?

pmack

yes. I actually tried to change that value too but no luck...

SuperDeadite

Boot the computer from a system disk, then see if you can do anything with the HDD at all, and if format.x finds it.  The SCSI setting should always be left on 7.

pmack

If I run format I can see an option for SCSI... is there any other cmdline option to see if I can actually read data from it?

This is really weird. I just remembered that I used this cable before with another Compact I used to have and it worked. Could it be something with the SCSI connector for this computer??

SuperDeadite

if you run susie.x and it doesn't see it, then something is busted for sure.

pmack

The problem was really some dirt in the SCSI connector of the compact. After cleaning it a few times it is now working. Thanks!