Is that a screw?

Started by Barfoot, April 06, 2006, 03:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barfoot

I was planning on opening up my Nomad to fix a few issues (it needs a new power connector and the brightness knob needs fixed or replaced as well). The problem? The bottom center hole seems to have a strange rivet like thing in it instead of a screw. I saw an article on the main site about a special screwdriver bit, is that what is used in this situation? Has anyone had any luck getting it out with other types of tools? Thanks in advance for any help.

kendrick

Yes, that is a screw. It's threaded for clockwise tightening just like the other screws you removed, but it has what's called an 'external line head' on it. It normally requires a special bit to tighten or loosen, but in the case of the Nomad the hole is deep enough that most magnetic ELH bits won't fit down there. In this case you have to get a single-shaft driver that will poke all the way down in there. Some retailers call this a 'Game Bit' since the same type of screw is used in many Sega and Nintendo cartridges and consoles. Hope that helps you find the right tool.

-KKC, who demands that Lawrence pay him in Animal Crossing currency for shepherding newbies. :)