dreaded game gear

Started by sammyleekilljob, March 08, 2006, 10:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammyleekilljob

Just a quick one, is there any cure for dodgy game gear screens? I'm sure it's uneconomical to replace it, any ideas.
What the hell is the deal with the game gear anyway? was it just too much too soon? I mean really, it's like freakin mission:impossible, this brick will self destruct in ten minutes. The only thing with a shoter lifespan is the poxy I-pod, or cry pod as I call them, $300 for 1 years usage, that's a dollar every day for a piece of junk. I'm spent.  

kendrick

We need more information. What exactly do you mean by dodgy? Is there a brightness or a contrast issue that could be fixed with new or improved backlighting? Are you observing too much or too little of a certain color, which might indicate a short in the digital RGB signal leading to the screen? Do you have lots of dead single pixel elements that might indicate the LCD layers are separating? There are a million things that could go wrong with the Game Gear screen, and some of them can actually be repaired by a guy with the right tools and some spare time.

I don't necessarily agree with you that the Game Gear was too advanced or too fragile. Being based on the Master System platform, the technology was well understood (and even as early as 1993 the Z80 process was documented all to hell already.) Ergonomically, the Game Gear strikes a pretty good balance, especially if you compare it to other portable systems before and since. It's not square and bulky like the original Gameboy, but it's not too small like the N-gage. It's not unreasonably fragile or prissy like the PSP, and the screen is readable under most lighting conditions (unlike the Lynx or the Gameboy Color variants.) The big strikes against the Game Gear are the limited library and the high power consumption.

-KKC, who heard a Gap Band song this morning and is now therefore in an unreasonably good mood.

atom

The game gear sucked batteries because of its cathode light tube backlighting. Disconnect the cathode and use a couple white leds for less drainage.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

saturndual32

Hi, i also have a problem with my Game Gears display.
Right now i am trying it with Sonic 3D Blast, and the screen is divided in 2 colors, 2/3s of the screen is white, and 1/3 is green. I can hear the sounds of the game being played, but i get no image. I get the same result with other games.
Is the a way to fix it?, thanks in advance for your replies!.