GBA LCD Questions

Started by Blaine, February 21, 2006, 01:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaine

Has anyone ever tried to backlight a GBA LCD? I know there were a ton of front light mods, but, specifically I'm curious if it's possible to backlight one - so as to use it in a projection type project.

If anyone knows, let me know, odds are I'll just pick one up at ebgames for $20 and crack it open to see.
If you can mod it... I'll find a way to screw it up!

NFG

You can't backlight the screen.

That's all I've really got to say about the matter.  Trust me, it won't work.

Midori

I had an idea for a projection project with my GBA, so I cracked i open and... trust me, my ideas were killed the moment I took a closer look at the screen. So listen to what Lawrence has to say, it's the truth. No backlight will work here.

atom

I refuse to trust anyone. Is it too close to the pcb? You can use el lighting if thats the case.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Midori

If my eyes didn't fool me then you will get a VERY... umm, transparent? picture if you put backlight on the GBA screen. For a few moments I thought I had killed my screen but when I took a closer look I saw that there was a very very transparent mega man on that screen... It's a bit thight in there but I think that's not a major problem.

edit. ah el lightning... how does that work?

NFG

It can't be done.  It really just can't, stop wasting your time.

Wasn't there a kit you could buy? I haven't seen it advertised since the SP was released. I think it was called the afterburner mod, or something like that.

FM-77

Yeah, there used to be something called the Afterburner. Appears to be really rare to find nowadays though, and what would it be good for? The regular GBA is terrible compared to the SP. (I'm mainly talking about the awful buttons on that thing.)

NFG

The afterburner kit was a FRONT-LIGHT, not a BACK-LIGHT.

You cannot, no way no how, backlight a GBA.  It cannot be done!