N64 Wild Card Copier

Started by DaveJ-UK, February 20, 2006, 10:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveJ-UK

Can anyone tell me how to get this thing working?

All I have is what's shown in the picture. I don't even have a power supply. It has a parallel port and a power input.

The only markings on it are the name (Wild Card) which you can see on the front, and the "warranty void if removed" sticker on the bottom (not shown in picture). No other markings. It doesn't even state its power requirements.

I'm told it PROBABLY takes 9V / 900mA / Centre Negative.

I'm also told it probably needs a CD drive connected to the parallel port to load ROM's. I don't have this part - but could I use a regular IDE CD drive hacked to a printer cable somehow? I'm doubtful.

Or where could I hope to get the Wild Card CD drive?

Or could I somehow connect it directly to my PC's printer port?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

kendrick

Not to be discouraging in any way, but this is the second most common N64 hacking/dev tool out there. It does use the same power supply as the Genesis/Megadrive Mark I (9v, 1.2 amps, negative tip and positive sheath.) Do a web search on "N64" and "Wild Card" and you'll get no less than two-thousand good hits with the kind of information you need.

To get you started, the parallel connector on your particular unit is intended to be connected to a PC running a kernel-level application (that is, one running under DOS, Windows 95 or some other operating system that allows direct hardware access.) Windows NT and XP don't allow this access and so won't run the PC client application correctly.

-KKC, up too late on a work night...

DaveJ-UK

Thanks for your reply.

I have Googled extensively but as there are barely any markings on the unit, all I have to go on is "wild card n64". Having searched around, all I can find are people selling the unit.

I even contacted this guy who has a store that sells nothing but copiers. He couldn't tell me much about it other than what I posted in my last post.

But if you're saying it connects directly to a PC through the parallel port and just needs some software running under Windows 9x or DOS then that's really what I wanted to know.

It is the a rip off of the original SP64 (supercom Partner 64). Both are exactly the same and have 128MBit non upgradable. I think there was a cd addon I used to name cd's for this store in Toronto. The cd's but be made with a list of the roms. There is a program to do this list for you. The bios reads the list. You need a cartridge like mario 64 or waverace 64(with the most common bootstrap on it). it was the shittiest copier. The Doctor V64(256MBit) was cd based and really good, v64 junior(512MBit) played everything but no cdrom. The CD64 was a knowck off of the Doctor 64 looked the same but was not as good it was made of the shittiest parts!. The Mr. Backup Z64(256MBit) used zipped disk and automatically saved your games for you and was the best for actual saving and playing games(most overheaded after 2 hours on certain processor intensive games) now can be modded to use laptop HD with all roms on it(with new firmware)

My opinion
1. Mr. Backup Z64 (v1=128MBit V2&V3 =256MBit) Automatically saves Games NO CDS though (owned this one)

2. Doctor V64(128MBit upgrade to 256Mbit) CD-ROM BUT Manual seperate saving device pain in the fucking ass(owned this one)

3.V64 Junior (512MBit batteries stores rom in ram when poers is off) Saving device not sure I think it was good?

4. CD64 (128MBit upgrade to 256MBit) Manual save and some special cartridge adatper for sram games or some thing real shitty (never own)

5. SP64(supercom partner 64)(128MBit not upgradable)/Wild Card 64 (SP64 came out first both looked the same and had the same hardware)
First and and the worst copier. no way to save except for on inserted cartridge memory. Load a different rom and lose your saved game that is saved in memory on the cart.

oh ya and the SP64 had an addon CD Rom