Sony Playstation A/V Port Pinout

Started by ORTA, June 26, 2004, 03:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ORTA

Hi Mr. Lawrence I've read the Sony Playstation A/V Port Pinout, I'm just wondering if I can use it to modify the A/V cable of my PAL PSX to make it play in color, because based on what I've read the no.6 pin is labelled as NTSC Video/Composite Sync, my problem is whenever I play games on my PS PAL model SCPH-9002 it is always in black and white, is it possible? And if it is can you give me some ideas?! Thanks in advance!! :)  

NFG

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but that pinout label's a bit misleading.  It should read just composite video, since there's no pure sync output and, obviously, if your system's PAL the output won't be NTSC.

Yod@

If you're only getting a black&white picture with NTSC games, then you've got 3 options:

1. Use an RGB lead (and an RGB-compatible TV, of course). This will give you a colour picture for all games.

2. There's an internal mod for some versions of the PS to force it to output either PAL or NTSC - it usually involves soldering a link wire (i.e. supplying either GND or 5V to a particular pin to switch the video output between PAL and NTSC).
http://www.darkplanets.com/colour_mod.asp

3. Buy an external NTSC-PAL converter to use on your PS.

ORTA

Thanks for the info Mr. Lawrence and as for Yod@ I've done that mod already but nothing happened it is still in black and white maybe my last option is to buy an external converter Thanks for the help guys!! :)

Vertigo

Just buy an RGB cable for crying out loud, it's the cheapest and easiest option, just about every tv you can get now in europe (even a 50 quid portable) has an RGB-capable SCART socket on the back.

patroclus02

I also own a SCPH-9002 PAL PSX, and today I did the colour mod. It was easy if done carefully (well, I have some experience, I already modded a PSX, a SNES, a MS2 and several Xbox).

It works perfect. The best solution is up to you. Good luck ;)

ORTA

QuoteJust buy an RGB cable for crying out loud
It's easy for you to say since you have everything in your part of the globe but right here in the Philippines!? you'll cry out loud for real to have the mod I'm asking about :D and another thing, I don't have enough money to buy another T.V.

ORTA

QuoteI also own a SCPH-9002 PAL PSX, and today I did the colour mod. It was easy if done carefully (well, I have some experience, I already modded a PSX, a SNES, a MS2 and several Xbox).

It works perfect. The best solution is up to you. Good luck ;)
I've done that too and I'm very sure I've done it perfectly but it didn't work and here is the link where I've based it from
http://www.metarooms.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2047
is this thesame colour mod you did on your PSX if not can you give me the link to the mod you're talking about thanks in advance!!

Yod@

QuoteI've done that too and I'm very sure I've done it perfectly
You didn't mention whether or not you cut the trace - I'm almost certain that it's necessary.

ORTA

QuoteYou didn't mention whether or not you cut the trace

I did cut the trace Mr.Yod@ but it didn't work :(  

hey Lawrence! what if I do the LM1881 chip to separate the video output to the composite sync then I'll connect the composite sync to the RF in of my TV will it do the trick? :blink:

NFG

Composite Sync is composite video without the colour or brightness data.  I don't think any good can come of plugging it into your RF input.  

ORTA

Oh! :huh:  thanks for the info :)