Saturn Cart Install (permanent!)

Started by SignOfZeta, February 21, 2005, 03:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignOfZeta

OK, last night it took me 20 minutes to get Real Bout to boot. I've toyed with the idea before, but now I'm pretty sure I'm going to try it; I want to permanently install a 4MB cart, or the guts of it, into one of my Saturns.

Has anyone tried this?

I figure cutting down the cart's PCB, and soldering it via wires into the holes on the SS's PCB where the (crap) cart socket is installed would be easy, but it would be great if I could someone figure out a way to turn it "off" to allow the use of the Xband, PAR, ST-Key, whatever. If there was a single ground that the 4MB uses this would be easy, but I have no idea if there is one, or where it would be.

Does anyone have a SS cart port pin-out?

NFG

Pulling out the ground pin when installing this wouldn't disconnect the cart, it'll just cause things to go haywire.  Check the pinouts for the chips on the cart, locate the /CE or /OE lines, and make those your switched pins.  Switching these to Vcc will disable them without mucking with the actual circuits.  They'll 'float', all outputs will be HiZ, which means they'll be, for all intents and purposes, invisible to the Saturn.

SignOfZeta

Thanks for the input. When I eventually get this sorted out I'll be sure to post pics.