X68000 monitor PAL support

Started by infiniterhythm, August 07, 2023, 06:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infiniterhythm

Hello everybody,
I'm looking into getting an x68000 and I was wondering about if I will be able to use my PAL amiga with it as well.

The only info I can find is that they do 15 and 31 Khz which is great. Did anybody try connecting a PAL device to them?

Many thanks!

HIggy

Hi @infiniterhythm I am a big Amiga collector. Sorry but not a full answer to your question:

I am using a Commodore 1942 monitor (PAL) with my X68000. This does 15khz and 32khz.

X68000 monitors are trisync so 15, 24 and 32khz. I don't think much uses 24khz, Marble Madness. But then you can play it on the Amiga ;)

Now Commodore had PAL and NTSC markets, Sharp only had Japan, so I guess their monitors might not work with PAL.

Depending on how authentic you want to be and how deep your pockets are, but you could just get the X68K Tower and use either a Commodore bisync or just a modern LCD. I have some nice modern Dells LCD's that work with the X68000 and other 15khz RGB computers/consoles.

There are also keyboard and mouse adaptors that work really well. And are quite easy to make if your ok at soldering and know a bit about Arduinos.

infiniterhythm

Quote from: HIggy on August 08, 2023, 10:41:43 PMX68000 monitors are trisync so 15, 24 and 32khz. I don't think much uses 24khz, Marble Madness. But then you can play it on the Amiga ;)

ahah, yes! I already do :)

QuoteNow Commodore had PAL and NTSC markets, Sharp only had Japan, so I guess their monitors might not work with PAL.

That's what I wanted to find out indeed, it's a far stretch I understand, why would it support it?

QuoteDepending on how authentic you want to be and how deep your pockets are, but you could just get the X68K Tower and use either a Commodore bisync or just a modern LCD. I have some nice modern Dells LCD's that work with the X68000 and other 15khz RGB computers/consoles.

I have a sony-Tv and a nice 4:3 LCD already. I love the sony CRT it's just so much better for games/demos and even older apps. But I just thought that it would be nice to share the monitor with the 1200, and have the interlaced modes show nicely on it...
It would be nice to find out for sure though. Maybe somebody is willing to try it out for everybody to know?

Jehuty

While the X68000 Monitor uses VGA it shouldn´t matter if the Amiga is PAL or NTSC. You can use an Adapter with R/G/B an H/V Sync from Amiga to the Monitor and it should work. Only question is if the monitor could sync the 50Hz from PAL Amiga. Otherwise you have to use NTSC from early boot menu of the Amiga.

I use the opposite - X68000 on Amiga M1438S with an adapter.