News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

X68000 in a FPGA

Started by costa, January 28, 2015, 07:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

costa

Hi Guys.

I believe, soon or later we will have our beloved X68000 implemented in FPGA.
This is the most natural path, since so many systems are now available on FPGAs such as the MSX, Amiga, C64, Apple, TRS-80 Color... just to name a few.

I know that custom CIs are a challenge to this approach, and the X68000 has a few, but FPGA systems can be implemented using RTL (Register Transfer Level) design or Behavioural design.
Though RTL, we must know the inner workings of the system, but using behavioural, we don't.
And I believe someone out here knows already how the X68000 custom chips works... and they know it well, because they created the emulators XM6 (multi-platform) and WinX68k (for Widows systems).

The 68000 processor core for FPGAs is already widely available (Minimig uses it).
My guess is that, using the X68000 emulators source code, we can figure out how the custom CIs works, and create a FPGA core of its behaviour. If it works for emulation, why would not work with FPGAs?

I would like to hear your thoughts about this.
May be we could gather a team together to understand this better, and eventually start a project?

caius

I know our member 'Master' Lydux was working on reverse engneering the X68000 in FPGA.

costa

And master Lydux is a lone wolf? It would be nice if we could get a team to work on this.

Quote from: caius on January 29, 2015, 04:17:52 AM
I know our member 'Master' Lydux was working on reverse engneering the X68000 in FPGA.

snua12

Implement X68000 in FPGA is interesting idea.
I had this idea few  month ago. I came across Vampire 600 project http://www.majsta.com/, which implements only CPU in fpga for Amiga.
I think connecting FPGA CPU to X68000 can is cool project.