Franken X68000 (Super + XVI)

Started by RobIvy64, June 17, 2014, 09:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobIvy64

Looking into the possibility of swapping the mainboard in my Super with that of an XVI. The ports match, but obviously I would need to add a switch to select the speed.

Has anyone here done this before?
"Console Mods" lurker

H68k

This may work? The IO boards of the Super and XVI are virtually identical.. right? I'm not that sure though.. The CPU speed switch is on top of a sub board of LEDs and other passive components, that is held into the back of the right towers front part with tapping screws. and wired back to the motherboard via it's own connector.

But.. if you ARE going to call it a "Super XVI" You must spray paint each tower blue, with some added red accents.. and stick the super man logo on both sides!

wildo2ne

I disagree, he should spray paint one side blue and leave the other intact, one color for each type.

RobIvy64

You guys spray paint yours and i'll base my decision on how it turns out 8)
"Console Mods" lurker

eidis

X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

RobIvy64

"Console Mods" lurker

RobIvy64

Quote from: H68k on June 19, 2014, 04:52:31 AM
This may work? The IO boards of the Super and XVI are virtually identical.. right? I'm not that sure though.. The CPU speed switch is on top of a sub board of LEDs and other passive components, that is held into the back of the right towers front part with tapping screws. and wired back to the motherboard via it's own connector.

I'm really torn on this, because I am a bit of a purist. I would love to have the XVI speed, but with the original case design (look 100x better than an XVI in my opinion  8)).

If I could find a way to install the new mainboard with a discrete hidden speed switch and minimal modifications, I might be willing to do it.
"Console Mods" lurker

98pacecar

If you have an empty expansion slot, maybe you could mount the switch to the removable cover. That way, if you decide to go back to stock, you can just replace that cover. It's not entirely hidden, but it wouldn't require any permanent mods to the case.

RobIvy64

Thats a good idea. Or place a small switch between the top vents.

Hopefully the connectors for reset/interrupt are the same, and the speed switch is on it's own connector.

I have a lot of researching to do, and may need to do a test fit with a XVI motherboard  8)

Man.. i'm torn :(
"Console Mods" lurker

BlueBMW

Ive actually got an expert here that someone painted white and silver...  It might have looked good when it was first done but now it just looks rough.

The speed switch is part of the led board.  The reset and interrupt buttons are on the mainboard and look to be in the same place as earlier models.