Stores where you can buy RGB Cables

Started by panzeroceania, January 01, 2010, 10:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzeroceania

I am in search if a Jap MegaDrive2 Jap 21pin RGB cable, I found this site here, and was wondering if it is a jap 21 pin configuration or scart?

Site with cable

I was also wondering if there were any other stores that sold Mega Drive 2 Jap 21 pin cables.

also, what would be the best way to get the stereo out of that cable to plug into a different object than I am plugging the video into.

Fudoh

The offered cables are Euro Scart, not japanese Scart. You won't find japanese cables in a german store with european Scart connectors on every TV sold over here...

panzeroceania

that's what I thought.

I suppose I'll have to make one then eh? the 21 pin male connector should be easy to get but what should I do about the MegaDrive end? would any MD A/V cable do?

NFG

Usually an MD cable has all eight pins inside, so you can cut and mod, but this isn't always the case.  Especially with cheaper cables, they may not use re-usable connectors and may only use five pins (since these are all you need for A/V).  

You shouldn't have any trouble getting an empty connector from any electronics shop...  Watch though that there are two different kinds: a U shaped one, and a C shaped one (the two pins at the end of the arc are closer or farther apart).  The MD uses one, the NeoGeo uses the other.  Watch for these when you order connectors.

Oh.  MD2.  Disregard the above!  Read this instead:

Pretty much any cable you cut open will be difficult to work with.  They'll probably have an outer shell you have to cut off, and be filled with soft silicon you have to remove with a sharp knife before soldering to the pins inside...  And most cheap cables have only 3 pins for A/V, so you can't use 'em.

That said, an 8-pin miniDIN isn't hard to find (much easier than the 9 pin connector used on the Saturn).  In a pinch you can re-use an AppleTalk (or other apple serial) cable, which use the same connector.  Since they don't use all the pins there's a chance they won't have one wire for each pin, but in my experience serial cables have all the pins every time, so you should be OK.

NFG

That's exactly right.  As for a breakout...  There's no best way.  Sometimes I use boxes, most often I have multiple cables coming out of the connector.

RGB32E

Quote from: Lawrence on January 01, 2010, 11:35:18 PM
Usually an MD cable has all eight pins inside, so you can cut and mod, but this isn't always the case.  Especially with cheaper cables, they may not use re-usable connectors and may only use five pins (since these are all you need for A/V).  

You shouldn't have any trouble getting an empty connector from any electronics shop...  Watch though that there are two different kinds: a U shaped one, and a C shaped one (the two pins at the end of the arc are closer or farther apart).  The MD uses one, the NeoGeo uses the other.  Watch for these when you order connectors.

Oh.  MD2.  Disregard the above!  Read this instead:

Pretty much any cable you cut open will be difficult to work with.  They'll probably have an outer shell you have to cut off, and be filled with soft silicon you have to remove with a sharp knife before soldering to the pins inside...  And most cheap cables have only 3 pins for A/V, so you can't use 'em.

That said, an 8-pin miniDIN isn't hard to find (much easier than the 9 pin connector used on the Saturn).  In a pinch you can re-use an AppleTalk (or other apple serial) cable, which use the same connector.  Since they don't use all the pins there's a chance they won't have one wire for each pin, but in my experience serial cables have all the pins every time, so you should be OK.

Uhh... don't you mean 9 pin mini din for the Genesis2/MD2, and 10 pin mini din for Saturn???  The pin positions for a 8 pin mini din plug do not match the pin positions of a 9 pin mini din socket.  For example, a 8 pin mini din does not fit into a 9 pin mini din socket - like the one on your MD2.  You could always use the cable stock from a 8 pin mini din cable (assuming 1:1 wiring with ground wire and shielding).

For the genesis 2, I connect audio via the 2 RCAs on a Sega CD model 2.  The output is better from there (less noise).  Here is the breakout cable I built and am currently using (9MD -> Sync buffer + RC for RGB -> DB15F for monitor cable).

And if you cannot find the connector locally, Digikey (among other large part sellers) sells them:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CP-2090-ND

NFG

Oops, right, 9 and 10 pins.  Typo.  =P