cheap ass 32x cable

Started by jetblue, January 24, 2007, 01:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetblue

I bought a 32x cheap off ebay that had no cables and adapter. Thought how hard can it be to get them. I was so foolish.
First I find out that the Conversion Cable is no longer being made and cant even get them from sega or ebay. There is a guy on ebay selling his own made cables and thought no way im gonna pay for something i can make. Thats money that can go towards more 32x games :) So I thought how hard can it be to get the parts i need to make my own cable?
The 8 din female connector on the model 1 was in a U and not O formation and impossible to find a U 8 pin din. And the 9 pin din mini that goes on the 32x is also hard to get without spending a lot on bulk.  
So I got my soldering iron and made some cheap wire connectors out of some wire i had laying around and some clothes pins for the mini din and small nails for the 8 din.

And by the way oh my god,forum users,that soldering paste,that soldering paste forum users,oh my god,that soldering paste,oh my god. Im terrible at soldering and put aside 2 days to solder those wires,i was done in 10 minutes. The paste made the solder go all over the wires like magic. I think i can do other jobs with it now.

I made 7 connector wires and placed them to the proper pins. Covering exposed areas with electrical tape. The pinouts on the main page were in reverse. This is looking directly at the back of the consoles:

All connected:

I had to use a walmart universal ac adapter and bought a "C" plug from radio shack

And it worked except i got no sound:

I figured it was a ground issue for the missing sound. I had stuck the 8 pin ground wires to the side of the 9 pin mini where the shielding meets. I tried other places then i remembered i dont want mono sound anyway. So i got sound from the headphone jack and in stereo!

So all i connected was 6 wires. Il clean it up and make it a single cord later. Yeah thats right,its funny lookin and im so cheap im willing to risk electrocution. :lol:  

Joe Redifer

Excellent!   It is good to know that the diagrams on the GamesX page are male.  They really should list on the diagram whether they are male or female, but I guess that's really not important to anybody.  It's too bad that the 32X couldn't have somehow used the existing Genesis video outputs like the Sega CD did.

kendrick

For the Mark II Genesis/Megadrive connector, it's pretty evident that it's the male side since the pin layout is assymetrical. However, it's a well-received point that there's ambiguity on that page.

Since it's a wiki, I want to take this opportunity to encourage people to fill in gaps and correct content as necessary. If you see something that needs fixing, don't be shy about fixing it.

-KKC

blackevilweredragon

QuoteExcellent!   It is good to know that the diagrams on the GamesX page are male.  They really should list on the diagram whether they are male or female, but I guess that's really not important to anybody.  It's too bad that the 32X couldn't have somehow used the existing Genesis video outputs like the Sega CD did.
It does use the old Genesis video too..  On DOOM, the "text", and the bar on the bottom is Genesis video..  the 3D field is the 32X..

Endymion

He's talking about using its video without cabling.

blackevilweredragon

QuoteHe's talking about using its video without cabling.
oh ok...