Sega saturn netlink module

Started by ORTA, August 19, 2004, 12:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ORTA

I've searched the web for this kind of pheripheral for the saturn and found only one but it's already sold, I'd just like to know if this is thesame as the dreamcast's web modem, and which modem has a higher kbps?

NFG

The Saturn's NetLink is much older than the Dreamcast, you might assume (and be correct) that it's less capable and slower, with far less RAM to work with etc etc.  

The NetLink is 28.8, the DC is (in the US) 56k.

dj898

and there's no server of any sort.
you can still dial to another etlink user directly assuming you both have Netlink compatible titles

cheers

NFG

The NetLink could connect to any ISP, IIRC.

Endymion

Either fortunately (or unfortunately) the Netlink modem had to direct-dial in order to play games with other players. The Netlink was built on the old Xband service that was featured on the Sega and Super Nintendo systems (uh huh, I actually had one... played other users too!) so the interface is very similar. Anyway, this usually limited potential players to other Saturn owners in the same locality, which was all of maybe two people in my area back in the day. It might be possible to fanagle online play by dialing in to a home server (similar to the workarounds people have used to play Dreamcast games via broadband, without a BBA), but I don't know of anyone attempting it.

ORTA

Thanks for the info guys you people really rocks when it comes to answers that's why I always try to look it up in this site whenever I have questions and problems relating game consoles  :D THANKS!!!