PSX auxiliary button question

Started by JB Lars, November 11, 2005, 08:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Lars

Hello all. I'm trying to figure out if I can plug two PS2 controllers into the same port. More specifically, if it's possible to plug a controller into an external unit that can also generate button presses and have the PS2 see all presses as coming from the same controller. There's those DVD remotes that have a passthrough slot for a standard Dual Shock, and I'm thinking along those lines, only replacing the remote unit with another controller. Thanks in advance.

Aidan

It depends on what you are trying to acheive.

For example, a simple multiplexer that causes the PS2 to poll alternate pads each cycle will give the impression that it's handling both at the same time - it isn't, and some software won't behave as expected.

IR receivers may be able to get away with substituting their input for the duration of an IR message.

Either way around, you'd have to create some logic to go with it.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Chaos

Hey JB_Lars and Aindan...

I was surfingo on net and I saw a very interesting thing on an e-store... An adapter to conect 2 PS2 controllers on an unique USB port... and it was relatively cheap (About U$ 10). It was very interesting to see, and it will surely be very nice to make one too, lol. Anyway, I've been looking for it on the net, but no news about. I'll keep searching. Any news, I'll post here ok? Doing with own hands rulez! ;)

If anyone have any news about it, please, tell me too ok? Thank you everyone!!

Hugs!

Aidan

Connecting PS2 controllers to a USB port isn't amazingly difficult. There are microcontrollers that have USB interfaces, and can generate the correct signals for the PS2 controllers when programmed with the right software.

Having two PS2 controllers on one USB port is a matter of ensuring that the microcontroller's USB description includes two HID devices instead of one.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]