News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

SCSI HDD Settings

Started by RetroRepair, May 04, 2014, 04:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroRepair

So I've cobbled together an external SCSI HDD but can't get it recognised by windows to image to.

Here's the jumper setting sheet, can anyone tell me what I need to set for it to work?

http://www.impediment.com/templates/seagate/schema/scheme_st15150w.jpg

At the moment it spins up but windows can't see it. Not in explorer or device manager. I have ID set to 0 (no jumper), termination set to drive and scsi bus and parity disabled (I assume the diagram means it's disabled with a jumper present?) Pretty sure the SCSI PCI card and drive are ok.

I need the right cable to use it on the X68k but if I can't even get windows to see it there's probably not much point.

Neshek

I happen to use a ST15150W for the x68000 in my external enclosure.

ID set to 0, J01 both jumpers and drive terminator enabled in J4. Parity check enabled (no jumper).
And that's it.

If i remember correctly, i had to configure something in the SCSI card bios for the drive to show up...
Must have been "Initiate Wide Negotiation" disabled. Or maybe Parity? I used 50pin cable and adapter.
Played around with so many stuff since the HDD setup that i don't clearly remember... But you could give it a try. :)

Wish i could help checking the SCSI card bios, but i don't have it anymore.

Don't give up ;)

Edit: Thinking of it, i'm almost certain i played with 8/16bit negotiation on the ID 0 in bios for the HDD to show up...

RetroRepair

I had no idea that the BIOS might be an issue, I thought it'd be transparent to the BIOS being a PCI add on. I'll check it out.

I have no idea what 8/16bit negotiation is but if I see something relating to it I'll have a fiddle, thanks :)

Neshek

You're welcome.

I meant the bios of the SCSI card, not the motherboard bios btw.
If you have an Adaptec card as i did, CTRL+A to access bios settings. Again if i remember correctly ^^'

8/16bit negociation.. I think you just have to turn off wide negotiation in the bios. Limiting speed transfer to 20mb/s could be useful although it should be negotiated automatically.
If your card has a nice bios, you'll be able to configure everything per unit ID.

Really hope i helped :)

RetroRepair

Ah right, I did a bit of research and my card (Adaptec 2904) doesn't have a BIOS as it can't boot a SCSI drive.

I got it to work, I had to jumper the terminator pins like before but also had to jumper "enable drive terminators". I imaged the disk but then realised the connector on the compact is a mini centronics where I just had the HD50 connector on my cable so yet another cable needs to be bought now!

I think the drive is a bit iffy though as it doesn't always spin up. I'll probably just bite the bullet and grab a CF adapter later on.

Thanks for the help mate

RetroRepair

I gave up on the ST15150W, though I suspect it was actually the PSU in the external case which was causing the issue since I bought a Apple external SCSI drive (quantum fireball) which works great, but not with that case.

Anyway, all sorted, happy now :)

Just got to figure out my RAM issues now which is for another thread...