Need repair/General info on Compact XVI

Started by RetroRepair, April 06, 2014, 01:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroRepair

First of all can PSU isses cause problems with video? Also what memory boards can the Compact XVI accept? Does it have a standard I/O slot?

BlueBMW

The compact has two io slots like the other systems as well as a special internal ram slot that can be used also.

Power supply issues can cause a myriad of issues but also mainboard capacitor leakage can cause sound and video issues.

RetroRepair

Great, thanks for the info.

How far can the internal ram go or does it just tap off the io bus? I assume the cards are hard to find?

BlueBMW

Compacts have 2mb built in.  If I remember right, the internal ram expansion board could be as big as 6mb thus expanding the system to 8mb ram without using any of the IO slots.  Also, that ram board has a FPU socket on it too.

2mb ram is enough to play a lot of games.  You really only need more for a handful of games that require it or if you play to run games off of a hard drive.  Then you'll probably want at least 6mb ram, maybe 8mb or more if you can pull it off.

RetroRepair

Is there a version of Human68k that takes you right to the command prompt? I have no mouse and want to run switch.x

H68k

A fresh from disk install of Human68k should take you strait to the command prompt, unless it's been configured to run a program via the autoexec batch file or system config file. did you get your copy of Human68k off of a game floppy or from a disk image?

You do not need a mouse to use the switch program, it can be entirely operated from the keyboard.

caius

Quote from: RetroRepair on April 12, 2014, 11:45:44 PM
Is there a version of Human68k that takes you right to the command prompt? I have no mouse and want to run switch.x

Probably you have tried the Human 68K v2.01 or v2.02.You have to use the v3.01 or v3.02 which will take you directly to the command prompt.