SNES RGB through D-SUB 15 (VGA)

Started by scarmullet, December 08, 2012, 01:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarmullet

Before you ask, I do have a multi-sync monitor capable of 15kHz....according to the xeroxed manual, but the only connection is a D-SUB 15 connector.

How could I wire up a D-SUB 15 Male connector to work with the RGB signal from the SNES?

kendrick

Welcome to GamesX. Please have a look at the Nintendo console A/V pinout page on the wiki here:

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:nintendomultiav

In short, the region of the console may cause some of the pins to have different functions. Hope that gets you started.

Pingu

What I would do is make a small adapter really. Buy an European snes scart cable, a female scart socket and a female vga plug and place it in a small enclosure.
Ordinarily VGA monitors require both H and V sync which I don't know if your monitor can handle so check that out in your manual.
If the monitor can handle composite sync it should be on pin 13 of the vga plug with pins 5-8+10 wired up to ground and 1 Red, 2 green and 3 blue. Match that up to the scart socket and install some break out phono plugs or a 3,5mm jack for an audio break out.

This box can then later be used for your genesis, neo geo or other RGB compatible console that can use SCART cables.

The scart cables will contain the capacitors needed for RGB on the systems so you ought to be good there.

Keep in mind though before you start tinkering too much with this that voltage levels might differ a bit between RGB and VGA signals and you should check this out so you don't break anything. You might need to add some resistors or three potentiometers or something similar to pull the voltage down a bit.

scarmullet

I am NTSC and this is how I wired it I have a feeling I did something really wrong

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/2047/snestovga.jpg

Pingu

What makes you think that? Have you tested it?
Well it looks alright but you might need to wire up some 220µF capacitors on the RGB line to boost the signal.

scarmullet

The only thing I have that shows that its even sending a signal is that, the monitor wakes up when the SNES comes on...but there is no picture. I may have too many signals on ground.

scarmullet

I am going to try doing the capacitors, I fear that I may not have any Multi-sync monitors and may have to resort to getting a

RGB Gamecube Scart Cable and a CSY-2100 - SCART to Y-U-V Converter (or equivalent)

scarmullet

Triple Post

Turns out I wired the connection to the wrong side. I didn't use Pins 1, 2, 3, 4....I used the other end.

Now I need to get a new one....I wonder.....Could this be done internally?  Theoretically....like throw in a few ICs to Amplify the signal to 31kHz...make it YUV and use component cables....naaaah...that'd never work

Pingu

Need to get a new one? A new cable? A new monitor? A new SNES?
Did you try fixing the cable?

There are several ways to convert the signal to component, you could do it internally but I don't really see the point of it unless you're only going to use the SNES and nothing else.

A lot of people use something like this: http://www.cypeurope.com/Synergy/Other-converter-products/CSY-2100-Scart-RGB-to-Component-Converter.html No mods required, just a scart cable and that though a lot of TVs have problem with 240p component video. You could use something like a jrok http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html either internally or externally. There are more ways of doing things of course.

To change it to 31KHz you need an upscan converter of some sort and those are either quite bad or very expensive like the Micomsoft xrgb series.

I recommend you reading up a bit more on video before you make your final decision on what to do.

scarmullet

I cant fix the cable, its all messed up. Besides, I just got done chewing the persons ass out for lying to me about the monitor....either that or he didn't know what he was talking about. I have no RGB monitor. What I'll have to do is convert the RGB signal to Component signal with a CSY-2100 or equivalent.

Soo, I need to find a way to adapt VGA to Scart, or just buy RGB scart cables for my respective systems.

Pingu

Read up on video, read up on the specs of your TV. Can it handle 240p component video? If it can't you're just wasting money. A snes scart cable is around $10-15 on ebay, I'm sure they can be sourced for less.

scarmullet

Hmm, When you play a PS1 game on a PS2 through Component, what resolution is it? If its 240p, I may have this solved.

scarmullet

I got my original cable to work...if you can call it that...and to confirm...I do not have a 15kHz monitor like I was originally lead to believe. But I do know the cable works as I get a "input not supported" message instead of "no signal"

its a mess.