News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Is it possible...

Started by Finalhazard, July 10, 2006, 05:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finalhazard

I'm curious about something. You see, recently I have obtained a Sega Genesis, Model 1 to be exact, and am yearning to do a small-scale console hack of my own. I also recently purchased a cheap digital camera.

The camera has a normal USB port for connecting to a PC, and since I don't use it, I was thinking of a way I could make it useful. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks: What if a Sega Genesis could be modded to make use of USB ports instead of the 9-pin connector port for the controllers? Not only would this make it my first console mod, it would also give my NyKo Airflo EX PC controller something to do.

So my question is, has anyone done this before?

NFG

Here's your problem (besides the fact that you have no idea what you're doing (A statement of fact, not an insult)):

The Genesis uses a simple communications protocol that simply switches between two sets of four inputs.  One line is set to +5v to select one set of four, then set to GROUND to select the other set.

USB is a complicated, two-directional protocol on two serial lines that has a very lengthy initialization sequence before the 'controller' parts even work, and is continued at all times.  

YES, you can make a USB pad work on a Genesis or MegaDrive, but you'll have to create an interface to convert what the Genesis signals and expects to the way a USB pad operates.  It gets even more complicated if you want to connect more than a 3-button pad, since the Genesis 6-button pad is wickedly complicated to us (compared to the 3 at least, not compared to the USB pad).

In any event, if you can't program your own microcontrollers the short answer is no, you can't do it.

Oh. Well, that makes sense. Thanks for answering.

GZeus

You could find a 6-button with a cracked case/bad cord, pull out the IC after tracing the circuit to each button, match that, and wire the IC into a favorite USB pad to your favorite 6 buttons...
So.....no, it's not possible.

GZeus

I recommend blocking unregistered posting.

NFG

QuoteI recommend blocking unregistered posting.
This is not the place for comments like this, there is a feedback forum for your enjoy.  

GZeus

QuoteI recommend blocking unregistered posting.
This is not the place for comments like this, there is a feedback forum for your enjoy.
okay...
I didn't think ONE POST that directly followed blatant spam would be a big deal.....

Dr.Wily

Humm.. It's possible. This kind of extention exist on very old Apple II... And Geny is more powerfull than a Apple II (on Apple II I could see IDE controler, modern sound car, LAN NIC...). By the way build a cartridge with USB port is "easy".
@+

Dr.Wily

Simm's Club - French LAN Gaming (PC & Consoles) : http://www.asso-sc.com