Color crystal on Playstation

Started by ORTA, September 26, 2004, 12:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ORTA

Does anybody here knows something about the color crystal in the playstation is it a color oscillator? A friend told me that in order to play color games in aPAL playstation (because mine is PAL and it doesn't display games in color) you need to add/solder a certain "crystal" in the mother board any help will be greatly appreciated :)  :)  

dj898

mine's PAL PSX with old mod chip and it runs both PAL/NTSC games just fine except those anti-mod titles...

what kind of mod your PSX has mate?

cheers

Aidan

It depends is the answer. ;)

If you have access to a TV with a SCART socket that accepts RGB, then you do not need to make any mod. You simply need a SCART cable that's wired for RGB operation.

For older playstation planar boards, I believe that a seperate colour crystal was required if you wished to use RF, composite or svideo signals, and view them in colour. In the case of my mod chip, I used a PAL colour crystal as the clock signal for the mod chip, and fed some of this signal into the colour encoder. Technically bad practice to pull off the signal the way I did it, but the resulting frequency is close enough for the TV to lock onto.

For newer playstation planar boards, the modification is much simpler. It's a case of cutting a track and connecting it to either ground or VCC to force the machine to generate the required colour carrier frequency.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

ORTA

Quotemine's PAL PSX with old mod chip and it runs both PAL/NTSC games just fine except those anti-mod titles...

what kind of mod your PSX has mate?

cheers
If you're talking about a modchip that would let you play pirated games, sorry  but my question is not about that kind of mod, it is about how to mod your PAL motherboard to play games in colour  ;)  and by the way talking about mods to play pirated games is strictly prohibited here I don't want Lawrence to kill me :D  

ORTA

QuoteIt depends is the answer. ;)

If you have access to a TV with a SCART socket that accepts RGB, then you do not need to make any mod. You simply need a SCART cable that's wired for RGB operation.

For older playstation planar boards, I believe that a seperate colour crystal was required if you wished to use RF, composite or svideo signals, and view them in colour.

For newer playstation planar boards, the modification is much simpler. It's a case of cutting a track and connecting it to either ground or VCC to force the machine to generate the required colour carrier frequency.
To Mr. Aidan:
          My problem is that scart ready tv is not yet available here in the Philippines  the only option I have now is to use the monitor of my PC to play it (PAL PSX) in colour. I'd really love to modify my PSX in color, because when I go to vacation in my cousins house he doesn't have a PC monitor that we can use & we can't enjoy the game because it is B&W

:D  Anyway thanks for the help :D  

ORTA

I've found the crystal description it is a 3.579545 now all I have to do is to search the net on where in the mother board should I solder it,  if anybody knows please post it, I will greatfully appreciate your help :)  

dj898

If you're talking about a modchip that would let you play pirated games, sorry  but my question is not about that kind of mod, it is about how to mod your PAL motherboard to play games in colour  ;)  and by the way talking about mods to play pirated games is strictly prohibited here I don't want Lawrence to kill me :D
who want to pirate PS games when it's as cheap as 100 yen   :D
I use the mod chip to overcome the region lockout... in fact all my sconsoles have the mod chip except the GC and Saturn as these two I installed the country switches...  

why everyone think mod chip=piracy ???  :lol:

cheers

NFG

Quotewhy everyone think mod chip=piracy ???
Everyone thinks it's for piracy 'cause most of the time that's why people ask.  And, of course, around here we need to be sure of intent before I break out the banning stick.  

Moosmann

I never tested this circuit so I don`t know if it works. Installing your risk !!
I found it in a used Playstation Scph-5502:

http://markus.brandel.bei.t-online.de/play...n-farbumbau.jpg

Gru� Markus

ORTA

QuoteI never tested this circuit so I don`t know if it works. Installing your risk !!
I found it in a used Playstation Scph-5502:

http://markus.brandel.bei.t-online.de/play...n-farbumbau.jpg

Gru� Markus
Thanks for the info Mr.Moosman

but myPSX doesn't have that I.C. because it's a SCPH-9002 model with PU-23 motherboard, and my friend (who unfortunately doesn't know where to solder the said crystal) said that only a crystal has to be connected and no other components such as 74HC04. I'm really confused now  :blink: can anybody help me with this I've already searched the net, but no progress at all

Any Ideas will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!

Moosmann

It`s the only method I know for Scph-1002-55X2 both with Hex-Inverter. But please send me the Photo how connected the crystal on the Playstation from your friend.

The Mod for a Scph 7002-9002 is just simpler, please check the diagram:
http://www.activated.de/deutsch/stealth/pu23.jpg

Color Mod is connect the 2 Points.

Bye Markus

ORTA

QuoteBut please send me the Photo how connected the crystal on the Playstation from your friend.
Thanks again Mr.Moosman but I'm afraid it's not that mod I'm looking for :( , it doesn't even have a crystal I've also done the color mod that connects pin 157 to ground but that didn't work, and as i've said before my friend also doesn't know where to solder the crystal that's why I'm asking in this thread. :huh: