Saturn Power supply same as DC?

Started by Mike, July 28, 2004, 04:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

hey all i need some help. my power supply board got all screwed up. i was checking post about saturn's parts being almost the same as a dc. i cannot find a broken dc anywere cheap for my old dc. everything else works on it but the power supply broke. ebay's a pain on broken dc parts cost to much might as well buy a used one which i already did. but i want to keep my old one as well as a back up system. cause on the saturn output is: +9V  +5V  +3.3V ground ground. now on the dreamcast its 3.3V 5V ground Space Ground 12V. i noticed there is 5 spots on the saturn and 6 on the dreamcast but one is empty which probably doesnt matter. yes i am a noob. i found this forum for some help i was wondering if anyone can help me out. the connectors for the power supplys and switches are the same. i know this place is about mods and what not. i need some big help if anyone can can you please email me or post a msg here for me. thanks :)

cappamike@yahoo.com

NFG

I don't recommend it, but I haven't looked at the two different units to compare.  If you're successful please let us know!

Mike

damn. i wish someone here has done it i have seen sites saying it can be done but u have to take apart the unit to do it. like the ground and what not to do it. but the thing that worrys me is cause saturn uses 9V and dreamcast is 12V would it matter if i use a 9V on a 12V output on the dreamcast is what i am more wondering instead of trying it and destroying 2 systems in the process.

NFG

Just buy another DC.  Sell the saturn to pay for it if you have to.

Also: We prefer proper grammar and punctuation around here.  Words like 'u' are officially discouraged.  =)

bcforn64

Quote+9V +5V +3.3V ground ground

Although it would seem logical that the saturn PSU spits out 5v and 3.3v because 12v is definately not appropriate for the mainboard, the last time I checked there were four pin headers on the saturn PSU, two for ground, and two for 12v. So if I remember correctly the Saturn PSU only spits out 12v.

NFG

There's more than one Saturn revision, I can think of at least four different power supplies.

yes there is 4 and dreamcast is 5. my saturn is a ntsc i got it in usa. its not a pal version. all system i have are ntsc and i have 1 pal version dc but its completly busted and fried. i rather keep my saturn and sell it. saturns are a great system i love die hard arcade :) i had a extra power supply from a saturn this is why i wanted to know if it would work or not :)

Scared0o0Rabbit

even of the ntsc saturns, there are several different revisions to the mainboard, cd board, and power supply.  I've seen several myself.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

bcforn64

Quoteeven of the ntsc saturns, there are several different revisions to the mainboard, cd board, and power supply. I've seen several myself.

Unbelievable. Still amazes me how Sega could get one platform and create so many different models and revisions of the hardware.  

martianviking

QuoteJust buy another DC.  Sell the saturn to pay for it if you have to.

Also: We prefer proper grammar and punctuation around here.  Words like 'u' are officially discouraged.  =)
I have to agree; used Dreamcasts are only $19 at ebgames.com:

http://ebgames.com/ebx/product/195512.asp

Darklegion

Quoteeven of the ntsc saturns, there are several different revisions to the mainboard, cd board, and power supply. I've seen several myself.

Unbelievable. Still amazes me how Sega could get one platform and create so many different models and revisions of the hardware.
:lol: You should see the ps2,they release a new revision every couple of months and many of them are vastly different then the last.There so many of them sold  however,so that is the reason they are always making new designs which fix endless amounts of bugs...and create endless more in the process.Sony really cheap out on their hardware...

Adeptus

QuoteJust buy another DC.  Sell the saturn to pay for it if you have to.
I have to agree; used Dreamcasts are only $19 at ebgames.com:

http://ebgames.com/ebx/product/195512.asp
Not any more apparently... must have sold out? :(
Was thinking of getting one at that price... have seen them for AU$125 locally :blink: