Genesis 3 Stereo Mod

Started by Jian Liang, April 13, 2006, 11:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jian Liang

Where do I tap the G3 for a stereo mod. I searched and found nothing on the site. I already know how to do the S-vid and composite mod but just need the stereo mod to complete everything.

Thanks in advance.

Altima1994

I have VA2 board, and try to figure out myself using the PIN layout from genesis model 2, but it looks like PIN 8 and 9 which is stereo left and stereo right aren't connected anywhere. Can someone confirm which board of model 3 can produce stereo out?  Jian Liang would you be able to help me with the S-video mod, perhaps send me a diagram via email (altima1994@gmail.com)? Appreciate it! TIA.

NFG

You know, if you guys register for the forums you get emailed notification of thread updates, and you'll probably find more people are going to help registered users than transient posters

This would also mean that you wouldn't have to ask for fixes to be emailed directly to you (What's next, we hold the soldering iron for you?), instead they could be posted here for all to enjoy.

Drewman21

He does bring up a intresting question about some Genny3's not having stereo output.  I have heard the same thing before but have never come across one that just does mono( after I started looking for it mind you) :D

Was there a difference? And if so anyone have one?

Drewman21

XianXi

Someone said you can just desolder the rf connector and trace the pins on the board. Anyone confirm this?

Drewman21

I had posted over at the Neo-geo tech forums about the stereo jacks i did on my Genny 3.  There is no rf connector on the system but a A/V port that has all the outputs that a RF adapter will use.  My A/V port was damaged and i just ended up desoldering the the whole part and just running wires to it.  I will get a picture for you up here or at the Neo-geo forums as soon as i get home tonight.

Good luck!

Drewman21
Drewmantrivia

Drewman21

XianXi

Quoteimage

image2

Hope it helps.
Drewman21
Not a very clear pic. Can you get a close shot of the board I just need to know where you soldered your lines into.

Drewman21

Sorry about that.  Best I can do with the camera I got.  You might have to use a meter and map it out like i did.  I just followed the gamesx diagram and went pin by pin on the bottom till i got it down.  The busted A/V jack didn't help much but it is do able.  I'll see if i still have my diagram i used and post it.

Later
Drewman21

Jian Liang

QuoteSorry about that.  Best I can do with the camera I got.  You might have to use a meter and map it out like i did.  I just followed the gamesx diagram and went pin by pin on the bottom till i got it down.  The busted A/V jack didn't help much but it is do able.  I'll see if i still have my diagram i used and post it.

Later
Drewman21
Where on the bottom of the board is the red and white wire soldered in your pic? I cant see where they are soldered from the pic but if you can tell me where it was soldered from the bottom view it would help tremendously.

thank you

Altima1994

It is very easy to trace the PIN layout if you have VA1 motherboard. First of all only genesis 3 with VA1 motherboard can out stereo. All you need to do is just connect pin 8 and 9 (use genesis 2 diagram for pin layout http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm) and you should be a happy camper. I guess the picture posted is from VA1 board because it is different than what I had. For those who have VA2 board, just connect pin 6 to both RCA plug. I know it's fake but at least better than only Left channel. LoL. Thanks to Drewman21 for replying to the post with picture. Now it is time for me to look for genesis 3 with VA1 board on Ebay :-) Peace out!

XianXi

QuoteIt is very easy to trace the PIN layout if you have VA1 motherboard. First of all only genesis 3 with VA1 motherboard can out stereo. All you need to do is just connect pin 8 and 9 (use genesis 2 diagram for pin layout http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm) and you should be a happy camper. I guess the picture posted is from VA1 board because it is different than what I had. For those who have VA2 board, just connect pin 6 to both RCA plug. I know it's fake but at least better than only Left channel. LoL. Thanks to Drewman21 for replying to the post with picture. Now it is time for me to look for genesis 3 with VA1 board on Ebay :-) Peace out!
I know where the pin out is on the AV connector I am talking about under the PCB because it's a different layout.  

Segasonicfan

I'd be interested in knowing the PCB solder points too (coming from the Sega chip/op amp).  I traced the opamp but my board is a VA2 and so from looks of it the one Sega chip outputs only 1 line of audio mono.  I don't have a VA1 to check but would appreciate a pic for the mod later.

I also can't overclock the VA2 because Sega integrated the 68000 into that one chip(!?) wow...  There's only 3 chips on the whole board, the one main Sega chip, an opamp and a RAM chip.  Crazy.

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)