Problem with Xbox 360 VGA mod...

Started by NFG, May 09, 2009, 09:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

So I started hacking up an Xbox cable to get VGA out of it.  Sadly, I've run into trouble.  The image is dark and covered with flickery diagonal lines.  It's completely stable, but more or less completely useless.

I've connected all the grounds to no avail.  The dark signal would suggest I've screwed up with the quality of my soldering, but it seems fine.  The colours are right, the sync is right, the 360 recognizes there's a high-def cable attached, but it just doesn't work right.

Can anyone suggest things to check?  =/

NFG

Working on it and looking up the cable online, I've found a couple of sources connecting random pins:

This one suggests that pin 21 (Unknown) should be connected to VGA pin 15.  I tried that, to no avail.  This one suggests that this is the 'DC Clock'.  Wikipedia says VGA pin 15 is the I2C pin, which I normally never use.

I only connected one ground from the Xbox to the VGA connector, instead of one for each colour (this is normally how I do it for other consoles).  I connected all the grounds on the VGA connector to each other, and to the one ground line.  I connected the grounds on the Xbox end to each other, and to the cable ground.

Fudoh

Just an idea: The XBox does output different timings for Component and VGA. I don't know how the 360 recognizes the attached cable, but maybe the component timings are just "off" for a VGA connection. (?)

NFG

I connected all the grounds (red, grn, blu) from end to end, and that seemed to help.  The brightness, at least, is pretty much cured.  There's a lot of ghosting and noise still, so I'm going to connect more grounds and see if it gets better.  The cable's REALLY short (About six inches) so I'm very surprised to find this much trouble.

NFG

Well, the video's bright, but there's so much interference it's just too annoying to use.

RGB32E

Well.. if it helps any, all that is needed for VGA connection is R, G, B, H, V, and ground.  I've connected the official 360 vga cables to a DB15F to 5 BNC male adapter and connected to the second input on my DP900u (DB15 and 5 bnc inputs) and all worked well. 
VGA to 5 BNC adapter from monoprice.com (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10203&cs_id=1020304&p_id=563&seq=1&format=2)

(though mine came with 75 ohm looking BNCs instead of the pictured 50 ohm style - recessed plastic around the center pin)

So, any of the data lines are not necessary for a typical VGA application (CRTs at the very least).  What are you connecting your custom cable to?  Perhaps the mode setting pins are not quite right?  I can check my cable tomorrow if you'd like..?

NFG

There are plenty of things I could have done wrong.  The xbox clearly wants proper grounds used from end to end (hence the dark RGB signals).  Somone who looked at the image said "looks like chroma noise.  Perhaps you've connected the composite video ground?"  I will try and disconnect that later.

In the meantime, I tried a PULSE 360 VGA cable.  $20 cheaper than first party, but maybe that wasn't so wise.  The ghosting seen above is still present:

So how do I get rid of that?

RGB32E

Quote from: Lawrence on May 10, 2009, 01:16:26 PM
So how do I get rid of that?
:) ;) :D ;D

Lawrence,

What has gotten into you???

Here's a three step plan (possibly 4):

1. Go to a store that sells the Official Xbox 360 VGA Cable
2. Purchase the Official Xbox 360 VGA Cable
3. Use purchased cable (obtained from step 2).
(Optional) 4. If problem persists, upgrade your display device.   ;)

I'm baffled you won't pay the $40 for the real deal... as the saying goes... "Penny wise, dollar short"

The whole purpose of building custom RGB cables was due to their non-existence otherwise!  (Though, at one point in time Redmond Cable could have made me RGB cables for my PVM-2030 at > $70 a pop).

NFG

RARusk

Find one used. I paid only $10 for my Official Microsoft VGA Cable used from GameStop when I first got my X360.
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

viletim

Lawrence,

High frequency video requires good cables, and 1280 x 1024 is about a fast as analog video gets!

You need to use 75 ohm coax cable for the entire length of the cable. Anything else will cause reflections (ghosting). A good source of 75 ohm coax is VGA extension leads or just chop the cable off the next PC monitor you see dumped on the side of the road.

NFG

The cable I bought is decent quality...

The one I made was only about six inches long, from there it was all coax.  Thing is, even at 640x480 I had the same noise and ghosting issues, so it's not a bandwidth issue...

Haven't made any changes to test the cable yet, my neck's still sore from four hours of fucking with it on the weekend.  =)

RGB32E

Quote from: Lawrence on May 11, 2009, 08:48:10 PM
The cable I bought is decent quality...

The one I made was only about six inches long, from there it was all coax.  Thing is, even at 640x480 I had the same noise and ghosting issues, so it's not a bandwidth issue...

Haven't made any changes to test the cable yet, my neck's still sore from four hours of fucking with it on the weekend.  =)

Well... just see if you can return the cable you purchased and upgrade to the official vga cable.  If the problem still persists, it might actually be a problem with your 360 in it's current state.  However, the ghosting issue has historically been caused due to something lacking in the cable...  good luck!  ;D

Endymion

Yeah, this is a cable problem, for sure. I know it's hard to look at the cable, seeing nothing seemingly physically amiss with it, but still have it ghost this way, even at the lowest possible resolution you could try, but any misplaced pixel at only 640x480 means your cable is fuckered. I made this mistake myself thinking that the $15 cable was good enough. Microsoft's cable is much thicker, and it's either that or magic fairy dust that makes the difference, I really have no doubt that the official cable would cure all ills pronto. And that's just because I've been where you are now!

NFG

Yeah, I agree that the ghosting is a cable quality issue.  I will be swapping that thing out ASAP.  Thanks for confirming that.

After the horrible garbage I got the first time I thought that my xbox was f**ked, nice to know it's not.  =)

viletim

In all probability, the Xbox 360 itself is the source of the noise.

RGB32E

Quote from: viletim on May 12, 2009, 01:34:14 AM
In all probability, the Xbox 360 itself is the source of the noise.

??? I know you've attempted to contribute much to this forum... but with a post like that, I simply wonder WTF???  With atleast the offical or monster brand VGA cable, the 360 has no problem outputting 1920x1080 to a display device without any noise (ghosting, ect.).  Have you lost your mind as well?  ::)

RGB32E

Quote from: viletim on May 11, 2009, 07:59:40 PM
1280 x 1024 is about a fast as analog video gets!

What are you taking about? There are 22" CRT monitors that display 2048 x 1536 via analog RGB... please stop passing gas here.... please!  :-\

ken_cinder

I run 1600x1200 on a 21" Dell CRT I have over analog VGA, and it's capable of higher.......I just can't see anything cause it's too small!

RGB32E

Quote from: ken_cinder on May 13, 2009, 08:30:14 AM
I run 1600x1200 on a 21" Dell CRT I have over analog VGA, and it's capable of higher.......I just can't see anything cause it's too small!

Like I said before (in a joking way), viletim stated something incorrect.  However, for long runs (over 3m) of analog computer video (RGBHV), most electronics manufacture recommend using RG-59 or RG-6 category coax cable... not applicable for the topic of this thread....  ::)

Jibbajaba

Quote from: RARusk on May 11, 2009, 01:45:48 PM
Find one used. I paid only $10 for my Official Microsoft VGA Cable used from GameStop when I first got my X360.

I was going to suggest the same thing.  Just start checking Gamestop.  Don't go by their online inventory system, because the cables are often mislabeled as component cables.  Just start checking stores in your area.

Chris

kendrick

Does GameStop have a presence in Australia or New Zealand? Even if they did, I would shop at any one of a dozen independent stores before I gave the big bad monopoly any business. I recommend against GameStop, or least vote for them to be only the last resort.

NFG

The _only_ game shops I've ever seen near me are EB and GameTraders.  The latter deals with all kinds of retro stuff but their quality is shit and their selection is worse.  There are no realistic options beyond EB and the big electronics chains. 

cgm

EB Games is now owned by GameStop. They have ceased using the name here in the US, looks like they kept it overseas.

RGB32E

So Lawrence,

Have you finally disregarded your cable making efforts and just purchased the official cable for a measly $50?  Seriously... please report that you bought and are using the cable and all is well in the land of RGB...?  :D

NFG

I have returned the crap cable and am now considering my options.  If I do pick up a giant plasma TV as I hope to in the next few days, I may consider HDMI instead of VGA as a solution.

RGB32E

Quote from: Lawrence on May 15, 2009, 02:17:56 PM
I have returned the crap cable and am now considering my options.  If I do pick up a giant plasma TV as I hope to in the next few days, I may consider HDMI instead of VGA as a solution.

Using a $10 HDMI cable is kind a of given if you are using a HDTV flat panel display.  ;)  Given that that this is your forum, you should probably purchase a commercial Panasonic plasma, so you get the 15.75 kHz RGB input capability on the PC input...  :P  Oh wait... you are in PAL territory... never mind...

NFG

Quote from: RGB32E on May 15, 2009, 03:05:35 PMOh wait... you are in PAL territory... never mind...

I hate it here.  =(

albino_vulpix

Quote from: RGB32E on May 15, 2009, 03:05:35 PM
Oh wait... you are in PAL territory... never mind...

If we're not talking about a modulated colour signal, why is this important?

Endymion

Quote from: RGB32E on May 15, 2009, 03:05:35 PM
Given that that this is your forum, you should probably purchase a commercial Panasonic plasma, so you get the 15.75 kHz RGB input capability on the PC input...  :P  Oh wait... you are in PAL territory... never mind...

Actually . . . all of the Panasonics I've dealt with or investigated recently have worked with NTSC and PAL. So it's entirely possible, but then again I just don't know how they are marketing them overseas. Mostly I'd hate to think of the price on them in Australia, especially given the economy lately.

RGB32E

All that I was getting at was that there are many options for 15kHz RGB inputs on HDTVs in PAL territories... so one is not forced into getting a commercial Panasonic plasma for 15kHz PC input compatibility.

NFG

Quote from: RGB32E on May 16, 2009, 02:19:39 AM
All that I was getting at was that there are many options for 15kHz RGB inputs on HDTVs in PAL territories... so one is not forced into getting a commercial Panasonic plasma for 15kHz PC input compatibility.
That may be true in Europe, but not in Australia.  My options are limited to a very small sampling of the latest models from LG, Samsung or Panasonic.  No one else even sells plasma TVs here - Pioneer's already sold out and not coming back, Sony only does LCDs, Hitachi pulled out of Australia last year, I haven't seen a Phillips TV in over a year.  NONE of the plasmas sold here will accept 15kHz RGB, and nothing on the shelf currently has any kind of SCART socket.

Waterbury

Quote from: Lawrence on May 16, 2009, 08:27:18 AM
Quote from: RGB32E on May 16, 2009, 02:19:39 AM
That may be true in Europe, but not in Australia.  My options are limited to a very small sampling of the latest models from LG, Samsung or Panasonic.  No one else even sells plasma TVs here - Pioneer's already sold out and not coming back, Sony only does LCDs, Hitachi pulled out of Australia last year, I haven't seen a Phillips TV in over a year.  NONE of the plasmas sold here will accept 15kHz RGB, and nothing on the shelf currently has any kind of SCART socket.

Do you have a Radioshack there? Buy a 6 foot VGA cable there for about $20 USD and a DB-15 Male connector with project box. For about $25 you could build something that works quite nice. That what I did. I have 20AWG cable connecting RGB + scan lines and 26AWG cable for ground connections. I used a shit load of hotglue to keep the cables from shorting. I stole a headphone cable that came from some old speakers to hook into the Aux of my PC speakers. I may upload pics later.  No ghosting or artifacts at all, it looks great. :)

Or you could stop being a bitch and give in and just buy an official cable and just play games for a change.  ;D ...J/K...Don't ban me!  :P

NFG

The delightful Undamned has sent me a top-quality VGA cable which is doing the job quite nicely.

Now, where's my ban button...

SonicBelchFire

the video port in the Xbox I have was broken, so I completely removed it. I tried adding VGA and everything seems to be soldered perfect but I get no picture at all, and no red lights. I added a headphone jack and I can hear the audio...  I am close to giving up, any way you could help?