Switching PAL Playstation and Deamcast to 60Hz...

Started by Devilman, July 17, 2004, 04:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilman

Hello :)

I live in France, and I have a PAL Playstation, and a PAL Dreamcast...

I also have a japanese Dreamcast, but it's out of order for the moment :(

I would like to play in 60Hz with my original PAL PS1 games and all my DC games (some of them let me choose between 50 and 60 Hz, but not all), without using any boot disc...

I wanna force my consoles to play in 60Hz whenever I want...

I already have a switch on my Sega Saturn that allows me to choose between 50 and 60 Hz, and I want exactly the same thing for my PS1 and DC :)

I never heard about it before, but I see no reason why it would be possible for many systems (8, 16 bits, Sega Saturn, even N64 if I'm right) and not on PS1 and DC...

So, can anybody tell me if it's possible, and if it is, how to make it ?

It will save my life :lol:

PS : oh, I forgot, I also have a US Super NES, but since few years, it runs the games with some kind of green filter, and that's not the fault of the cable (I've tested with several cables), does anybody know where it could come from ?

I still can play well, that's not the problem, but it's kinda annoying to play some master-pieces such as Final Fantasy 6 with that green graphics...

Martin

QuoteHello :)

I live in France, and I have a PAL Playstation, and a PAL Dreamcast...

I also have a japanese Dreamcast, but it's out of order for the moment :(

I would like to play in 60Hz with my original PAL PS1 games and all my DC games (some of them let me choose between 50 and 60 Hz, but not all), without using any boot disc...

I wanna force my consoles to play in 60Hz whenever I want...

I already have a switch on my Sega Saturn that allows me to choose between 50 and 60 Hz, and I want exactly the same thing for my PS1 and DC :)

I never heard about it before, but I see no reason why it would be possible for many systems (8, 16 bits, Sega Saturn, even N64 if I'm right) and not on PS1 and DC...

So, can anybody tell me if it's possible, and if it is, how to make it ?

It will save my life :lol:
PAL games on the Dreamcast and PlayStation were optimised to play at full speed, If you add a 60Hz mode they will run too fast.
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

Devilman

QuotePAL games on the Dreamcast and PlayStation were optimised to play at full speed, If you add a 60Hz mode they will run too fast.
I think that's true only for few games, for example Gran Turismo for PS1 which is maybe faster on the PAL than the NTSC versions (but it looks horrible, the animation isn't as fluid as it is on NTSC versions), but I'm sure that many games aren't optimized for PAL consoles... at least, the games I wanna play in 60Hz aren't (Final Fantasy 7 & 8) :)

And that's the same for DC, I have games in both PAL and NTSC versions, and most of the PAL version aren't optimized, the traditionnal 50Hz black bands and slowdown :)

Anyway, optimized or not, I just wanna switch to 60Hz whenever I want, and if I see a problem with a game I'll play it in 50Hz ;)

Martin

QuotePAL games on the Dreamcast and PlayStation were optimised to play at full speed, If you add a 60Hz mode they will run too fast.
I think that's true only for few games, for example Gran Turismo for PS1 which is maybe faster on the PAL than the NTSC versions (but it looks horrible, the animation isn't as fluid as it is on NTSC versions), but I'm sure that many games aren't optimized for PAL consoles... at least, the games I wanna play in 60Hz aren't (Final Fantasy 7 & 8) :)

And that's the same for DC, I have games in both PAL and NTSC versions, and most of the PAL version aren't optimized, the traditionnal 50Hz black bands and slowdown :)

Anyway, optimized or not, I just wanna switch to 60Hz whenever I want, and if I see a problem with a game I'll play it in 50Hz ;)
okay, just remember not to get speed optimisation confused with framerate optimisation, most games from good developers on DC were optimised for PAL (even though they had borders), they still ran at full speed, the shenmue and Sonic Adventure are examples, their 50Hz modes the games had borders, but still ran at full speed, but had frame rate drops.

Devilman

Shenmue PAL has a 60Hz mode (it asks you when you launch the game if you wanna play in 50Hz or 60Hz), some other PAL Dreamcast games give you the choice between 50 & 60 Hz :)

Martin

QuoteShenmue PAL has a 60Hz mode (it asks you when you launch the game if you wanna play in 50Hz or 60Hz), some other PAL Dreamcast games give you the choice between 50 & 60 Hz :)
I know that.
Im saying that when you run them in 50Hz they are optimised for speed, even though they have borders.

Darklegion

I am thinking it would be possible to convert the signal from 50hz to 60hz and this would be the ideal solution for consoles that work with software based 50-60hz modes.For the dreamcast it may be possible to convert it to a NTSC console,which should make NTSC games run at 60hz,which don't without messing with patchers...and some games most notably the 2k-2k2 series of sports games won't work in any case.The method of doing this has not been discovered yet and It won't work for the psx,no matter what (completely software controlled).I like the first option but I have seen no information on it,and don't know if its even possible....or easy enough for the average modder to do.

Martin

Most Dreamcast and PSone games used fixed speed audio, If the games were slowed down for PAL you would notice a terrible miss-sync in audio,
THere is one place that can fit 50/60Hz switches to Dreamcasts,

www.ravengames.co.uk

Arakon

the main problem is that on an import modded PAL DC, quite a few ntsc games only run at 50 Hz and thus too slow. it appears that if you flash the internal flashrom where the settings are stored with a NTSC one (or hexedit a byte in the existing one for that matter), it will switch to NTSC/60Hz (tested on chankast anyways.. changing that byte will make it boot up with a red swirl and US, or blue swirl and PAL).
the 50/60 hz switch ravengames installs is most likely a switch between 2 flashroms.

it should be possible to switch with a small app that modifies that one byte.. but noone coded one yet.