How do Mod U.S. GC to play Japanese

Started by ivlriswith027, February 05, 2008, 12:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivlriswith027

Hi guys. I've done A LOT of research on how to enable my U.S. format gamecube to play Japanese games.

I've gotten the SPDT (single-pole double-throw switch with 2 terminals - micromini) and currently have it mounted up nice n pretty on my console in the back.

But when i look at diagrams of how and where people have soldered their wires, i see i have a different set-up on my mainboard =(

This is the diagram i found on a site that differs from the setup on my mainboard(I've attached this diagram)

I'm suppose to attach a wire to any of the 2 green points, then to the switch, and the other wire to the red point to the switch since i have a U.S. GC. And this is how it should look. (other attached diagram)

I don't have those little black things that the red dot represents =(
(or i have it but i just dont know where it is.

Where am I to attach the other wire??

If anyone can help me out it would be MUCH appreciated!! =/

NFG

You don't appear to have attached the right image(s). 

ivlriswith027

ok here's the other image i meant to attach. (the one i referred to with red dots and the green area)

NFG

I think you'll find the point you can't find is positive voltage.  I've found another diagram that makes this really clear.  The blue point is GROUND, and the red can be found in the 2x3 pin array.  Check this URL:

http://www.oratan.com/projects/gcn_mod.html

Particularly this image:

http://www.oratan.com/projects/images/gcn_04.jpg

blackevilweredragon

I can't load the link, no server is found...

ivlriswith027

okay thanks, I've seen that one as well. But i'm not able to find the black things above the R5, R6, and R39 points. My mainboard, i guess is different from all the pictures i've seen of other mainboards. I don't even see anything resembling the 2 black things above those points =(

I'll include a picture of my mainboard probably tomorrow. Ive gotta charge some batteries for my camera. Then we'll see what's up =/

Thanks a lot though, i agree with you, that's a really clear examlpe of which points to solder.

Ill have that pic up tomorrow. Thanks again!

NFG

Don't worry about those little black things, they may be different depending on the region of your console.  The mod you're doing will do the same job they used to do.

ivlriswith027

ok let me know if these attachments work. These are 2 pics of my mainboard.

It's different from all the other ones i've seen. I tried magnifying em but it comes out blurry so we'll see if this works.

I don't have the little black things. but i'm sure lawrence is right..they're somewhere in there..BUT DISGUISED! >=[  Maybe the little black things to the left are it??

Well, if anyone can, let me know which points to solder..
Also, I'm suppose to remove an existing jumper (which i might highlighted in red in the pic? If im wrong correct me =P) since mine is a U.S. Gamecube.

ivlriswith027

I hope you can view these images alright. If not let me know and i'll try something else.

Heres the other pic.

Open them up in paint and it'll show up LARGE! =P THEN you can see everything goin on...

again, if it doesnt work, i'll try something else.

Thanks guys!   :D

NFG

First off, that jumper highlighted in red isn't a jumper, it's a circuit trace.  You shouldn't need to cut it, 'cause it isn't what we're concerned about here.  We need to bridge the connections from that red bit to the pads across from it.

ivlriswith027

oh i see. What about the jumper that already exists in the U.S. gamecubes? Where is that located? Cause all the instructions i've seen said you have to remove that..

Also, where exactly would those pads be? Sorry i'm new to these things =P But i'd lke to get more into it =)

OK so what and where are the pads? The blue and black things with the numbers on them?

NFG

Jumper: something that connects two points
Pad: Metal bit on the PCB that can be soldered to

A jumper can be a soldered-on low-ohm (usually 0) resistor, or a circuit trace, or a removable plastic&metal thingus, or a piece of wire.  Sometimes jumpers connect two pins, or two VIAs (holes in the PCB) etc.

Basically you've got two pairs of pads there:

[ ]----[ ] R25

[ ]    [ ] R26

In this example R25 is closed, it has a jumper, it is connected, it is ON.  R26 has no jumper, it's open, it's OFF, disconnected.

Does that make more sense?

ivlriswith027

OK Cool. Yes, it's making more sense thanks.

So I need to solder a wire from a point on the R6 pair to a terminal on the switch right?? and then another wire needs to be soldered from one of the pads to the other terminal on the switch?? Is that correct??

If so, just let me know which pad it needs to be soldered to and I'll do it =P

Also, what i DON'T understand is where the already existing jumper that is found in the U.S. format GC's is..they said it's suppose ot be removed because that is what makes it play English. (if the jumper wasn't there it would be playing japanese only) Any idea where that sucker is??

Heres where i got that info http://gamecubemod.com/printable.php

and heres the other site..but they dont mention the already connected jumper in the U.S. GC so that's why i'm so confused http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/ngcmod.htm

thanks again for the help

ivlriswith027

oh, and on the 2nd site i gave ya there, it told me i had to solder 1 wire to either the R5 or R6 point and then a different wire to the TRANSISTOR.

That's what's different about my console; I have a model DOL 101 and the diagram on gamesx is most likely a model DOL 100, the ones they made up until May of 2004.
(I'm right if that info that was given to me is correct =P)

So now i just need to know what Transister i have to solder the wire to and i'll most likely be done! Wo0ot!

What i don't get is on Gamesx, they don't say anything about removing the jumper lol..

What say you on that?? =P

NFG

The GameSX mod is based on a Japanese machine, so it wouldn't be telling you to remove the jumper that isn't there.

The transistor is, as I mentioned quite a bit earlier in this thread, just positive voltage.  Go back and read that bit. 

I can't tell you specifically how to hook yours up 'cause I've never done a mod on this model... 

ivlriswith027

Here it is lawrence

ivlriswith027

NVM dude. I got it. All that needed to be done was solder a wire to either the R5 OR R6 pair and pop the resistor/jumper off of R39 and that was it.. lol

thanks for all the help anyways =)

I applaud you for the patience! lol