classicpc.org keyboard adapter- possible to hit certain keys?

Started by bobrocks95, May 07, 2024, 11:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrocks95

One more thread and hopefully I'm done- I'm looking at getting a keyboard adapter from classicpc.org - https://classicpc.org/x68000%e3%82%b7%e3%83%aa%e3%83%bc%e3%82%ba%e3%81%b8ps2%e3%82%ad%e3%83%bc%e3%83%9c%e3%83%bc%e3%83%89%e3%82%92%e6%8e%a5%e7%b6%9a%e3%81%99%e3%82%8b%e5%a4%89%e6%8f%9b%e6%a9%9f/

However, certain X68000 keys, in particular XF2 and XF3, require Japanese-keyboard-exclusive keys to be pressed ("convert" and "don't convert" for kana input, to the left and right of the spacebar on a Japanese keyboard).

Are these keys usable in any way, or should I avoid the classicpc adapter and just make my own?  Or are there any other readily available options that have some sort of case or enclosure?  Fine with the soldering DIY for this one but I'd prefer it to not look so crappy sitting there exposed.

Thanks!

HIggy

@bobrocks95 do you have a 3D printer? I've modified an existing Pro micro case to fit the DIY keyboard adaptor in.

I thought I had added a photo to the linked topic, but looks like I have not. Looks pretty good in a case I think.

I also took some additional build photos when I made my 3rd adaptor of how I solder one together with an additional Logic Level Shifter (just 'belt and braces' to make sure X68000 is not damaged as additional cost or part is minimal). I need to write it all up .

bobrocks95

Quote from: HIggy on May 07, 2024, 10:19:06 PM@bobrocks95 do you have a 3D printer? I've modified an existing Pro micro case to fit the DIY keyboard adaptor in.

I thought I had added a photo to the linked topic, but looks like I have not. Looks pretty good in a case I think.

I also took some additional build photos when I made my 3rd adaptor of how I solder one together with an additional Logic Level Shifter (just 'belt and braces' to make sure X68000 is not damaged as additional cost or part is minimal). I need to write it all up .

Buddy of mine has a 3D printer, would love to see a little case for it! I have half a mind to get a 5V board and update the code if necessary and see if I can get things working.

HIggy

bobrocks95

Quote from: HIggy on May 09, 2024, 05:18:21 AM@bobrocks95 :

Keyboard Adaptor.jpg

Those look nice!  Simple but that's all you need.  What multicore wire did you use, and is that strain relief or just shrink tubing on the box side?

incrediblehark

Looks really good! I've been interested in whether or not the ZUIKI X68000 Keyboard and Mouse would work with these adapters, and with full key functionality. Would be nice to use something with a similar feel as originals but with newer tech like a laser instead of mouse ball.

bobrocks95

Quote from: incrediblehark on May 10, 2024, 06:12:59 AMLooks really good! I've been interested in whether or not the ZUIKI X68000 Keyboard and Mouse would work with these adapters, and with full key functionality. Would be nice to use something with a similar feel as originals but with newer tech like a laser instead of mouse ball.

I could imagine for the keyboard you probably need to tweak the code to use the Japan-exclusive keys, just since it's likely written to expect US keyboards to be used. Would be nice, assuming the Zuiki keyboards are mechanical as expected with their price. Mouse should work out of the box no problem.

HIggy

Quote from: bobrocks95 on May 09, 2024, 03:22:37 PMThose look nice!  Simple but that's all you need.  What multicore wire did you use, and is that strain relief or just shrink tubing on the box side?

I see your looking at porting the code, nice.
Inside there are just 2 bits of matchsticks to stop the board from moving backwards. You need some clearance to get the board in. I might have made it tighter but then I was worried that I would not be able to extract the board from the case.
Yeah just headshrink. I cant seem to add photos when replying using phone browser.
Cable is just 6? core. I had lying about, sorry I don't have a part number for that.
I used heatshrink to give the cable coming out the hole in the case a good grip. The hole can be cut/filled if you use bigger wire, the lid also helps grip it into position.