x68000 monitor broken because of transport

Started by japancollector, October 08, 2008, 10:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japancollector

I have imported an x68000 and monitor from japan here is photo of auction:

First after i have recieve it when i try to put on the monitor it was difficult to push the power button.Also i found it wierd the lights at front 15khz and 32khz wherent burning.later i found out that there was a crack of 10 cm started at the right site of the power button to the right site of the screen

the screen display games like daimakaimura strider and final fight in 15khz and need to switch in option menu to 32 khz.lot of games start but later there is no screen(akumajo dracula , detana twinbee).I think this is because the monitor dont automatic switch from 15 khz to 32 khz . i think this is is broken d-return give a ctr error

is it possible to repair this ?What is broken?

also daimakaimura and strider and final fight are 2 mb .So i found it weird that elecktronic arts(cotton ect) give 2mb warning

in auction stated the x68000 has 10 mb ram

Computolio

If you can see both the boot screens and ingame graphics, then 15KHz and 31KHz are displaying fine. 24KHz is almost never used. If the monitor just shuts down after a while, then there could be a problem. Luckily you can just swap in a VGA monitor without too much loss of functionality.

If you're getting memory warnings, then it's possible your RAM size settings are wrong. Use SWITCH.X to verify that they are correct.

japancollector

Quote from: Computolio on October 10, 2008, 06:25:58 PM

If you can see both the boot screens and ingame graphics, then 15KHz and 31KHz are displaying fine. 24KHz is almost never used. If the monitor just shuts down after a while, then there could be a problem. Luckily you can just swap in a VGA monitor without too much loss of functionality.

If you're getting memory warnings, then it's possible your RAM size settings are wrong. Use SWITCH.X to verify that they are correct.

I have found the problem the x68000 was switched on 16 khz(clockspeed).After reset most games started on 10 khz(clockspeed).

still the monitor is first clear black screen on start up .but later in game there are lines.little bit yaming on screen(dont know how to call this in english XD dutch word storing(yamming?).(I get a feeling this maybe happend because of x68000? system(because at boot screen is always clear black background.Only in game it occure) or something in the monitor got dammadge.

I have tested yesterday a lot of x68000 games but some have read error(also a copy of akumajo dracula XD).Is it possible to clean the disks ?(its possible its dirt instead of diskerror?) .

there is also an small roundhol in the reading part of one of  the disks  (not the big one in the middle)but the small one next.Can this cause that a disk isnt readable?

thanks for the tip

NFG

I'm not sure what yamming means, maybe someone else can figure it out...

as for the little hole, that's supposed to be there.  The drive uses it to measure the speed/RPM of the disk.

You can clean the drive, but in my experience it rarely helps.  Chances are it's the drive at fault, not the disks.

Computolio

If some disks are giving you errors while others aren't, I'd say it's more likely that the disks in question are going bad. Use XFloppy to re-write them and then see if the problem goes away.

That "yamming" sounds like the vertical retrace showing. Sometimes you can fix that by adjusting the picture size or the contrast/brightness. At least your monitor isn't really dead yet.