N64 s-video and SNES RGB

Started by WMJ, January 23, 2006, 03:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WMJ

I've recently been looking for a way to connect my PAL n64 with s-video and SNES with RGB. I know PAL and NTSC consoles have slight differences in the output that makes using NTSC cables on PAL consoles and vice versa impossible without modification.
Then I came across this cable:
http://www.venomuk.com/search/show_details...9&platform=1005

Will this cable give me an s-video picture when used with the n64 or will I get no picture at all?
Will I get an RGB picture with a PAL SNES or will removing the capacitors be required?
If it doesn't work what cables would you guys recommend?

It's really confusing to see so many s-video and RGB cables online that simply say compatible with n64 and SNES, without saying whether it's for PAL or NTSC consoles.

eek

Well the N64 can't do RGB without modification but s-video should work. Providing the cable you linked to actually does have RGB support and is not just a glorified composite cable (I bought a N64 "RGB" cable once which was composite only so beware).

Also, those cables which support more than one console can produce bad quality images. I bought a "Mad Catz" cable which supports s-video for Xbox, PS2, & Gamecube, but the amount of dot crawl it produced for a s-video signal eas unacceptable (it's like composite dot crawl made sharp!).

I have two s-video cables which I use for both my PAL and NTSC N64's. One thing I had to do with the PAL cable though, was put a 75ohm resistor to the luminance and ground lines to reduce the brightness and this weird ghosting effect I was getting with anything white in colour (I made a small extension so I didn't wreck the cable). It's not an issue with the NTSC N64.

I also heard somewhere that later model PAL N64's do not support s-video at all, but I can't confirm this. I know that PAL Gamecubes aren't supposed to have s-video support.

WMJ

I had some slight hopes that cable would be a good solution for n64 s-video and snes rgb providing it has a fully wired scart lead but I think you're probably right about these multi-console cables because I've heard some more bad stories about them in the past.

I also already have an s-video lead for the n64 which provides a horrible picture that is much too bright and with the weird ghosting effect you mention. I only found out about the difference in PAL and NTSC n64's after I bought it.
It's this cable: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...oducts_id=1416&

So, would I be able to mod it with putting two 75 ohm resistors on the luminance and ground lines?  

viletim!

Moonlapse,
Take a look at SNES RGB SCART Cable Diagram. If you buy a cable that doesn't work correctly, this should be enough info to modify it. I don't know if a 75 ohm resistor (to ground) is required for the lumanance/chrominance for PAL syetems. Should be easy enough to find out.

WMJ

Ok thanks.
I was just wondering if there were any RGB leads suited for a PAL snes or s-video leads for PAL n64 but if it comes down to having to mod the cable I'll do that then.

eek

Modding a s-video lead for use on a PAL N64 is more dependant on your TV. My Sony WEGA (it's old), doesn't like the signal from a PAL N64 s-video, but my Commodore 1084s works fine. Since I use my telly for most of my "gaming", making a small adjustment wasn't a problem.

My advice: Get a s-video cable first and test it out on your TV. You might not have any issues at all.

WMJ

I already have the s-video cable I mentioned in the above post and that one is definitely giving me problems on my tv (ghosting and too bright).
I tested it out at a friends house today and the same problems were on his tv. We tried it with a vga box as well and that only gave a too bright image and no ghosting. This was simply solved by tuning the brightness down a bit and that gave a pretty decent picture. I guess if I want to use it on my tv I'll just have to mod it.

Also, when capacitors are removed from a Gamecube RGB cable to work with a PAL SNES, will the cable still be useable for a Gamecube or will that result in an overly bright image?

Vertigo

The capacitors are there for a reason. Removing them will alter your end result. Just buy a cable from Lik Sang for 3 quid. I've had loads off them for multiple systems and they work great.

Thanks for the advise everyone.
I've bought a scart block with an s-video input that I've soldered two 75 ohm resistors to the luminance and ground to and it's working great now :). I'll just get one of those cables from lik-sang to get RGB on the SNES then.