Using XM6 Pro-68k to crack games

Started by eidis, July 01, 2014, 07:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eidis

Hi Guys !

I would like to finally bring up a very important matter. The HDD image has matured so far that we have run out of easy installable games and are forced to hacking the nasty protections of those which were too tough to install the normal way.

Here is what I have found out:

1) The XM6 Pro-68k has a very advanced debugger which is exactly what we need for the job.
2) The following site explains basic Motorola 68000 machine code commands in a noob friendly way.

SCHG How-to:Work with Motorola 68000 assembly
http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Work_with_Motorola_68000_assembly

This gives some faint insight into what is going on in the debuggers disassembler and gives rise to a very important question - how do you crack games with it ?

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

sharp

actually, iirc, the information pertaining towards Y2 is actually involved with xm6.
you can set it to stop at certain bytes, so when it accesses the protection? xm6 sees it attempt that access and halts progress. very handy for finding exactly where to look. It was not the easiest thing though...
I know nothing about coding, just getting lucky after wasting time staring at code.

iirc, there is protection for every stage...

kamiboy

I once got the amazing idea of trying to use XM6's debug functionality to see whether I could figure out where in the Akumajo code the resolution was being set in a foolish dream that I might be able to find a way to force it into 15khz mode, rather than 31khz.

Bugger if I could figure heads or tails of the debug option. It is a powerful hacking tool if you know what you are doing, but my skills fall a few notches short of the level of l33t required.

I say the only guy with the right amount of l33t here is lydux. Maybe we should start a collection to hire the man to do some of the work that needs done? Nothing like making it official to get a project moving along at a brisk pace.