PS2 VGA adapter..which one?

Started by Silver237, January 20, 2005, 09:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver237

I have been looking for a good PS2 VGA adapter. I have been looking a the blaze one with the boot CD to unlock the higher rez..I dont know how thats supposed to work..or if it can even work with every game. Sagestar, Innovation, etc. Does anyone know which is best or have any experience with any of these?

Jeremy Pallant

Well, having used both an XRGB-2 and and XRGB-2 Plus, I would recommend the latter (it's still available, the former isn't), with an RGB cable if you can find one, or a Sony D-Terminal cable if you can't.

Silver237

well I was hoping for a cheaper item..those things are like 200 or something. I was just wondering what kinds of results anyone got from the cheaper VGA boxes. Besides my monitor is VGA only.

Endymion

The XRGB2+ is for VGA though. It gives you a quality signal with any console that can do RGB. The cheap VGA boxes give a crap signal because they can't work with RGB. It really looks terrible. The XRGB2+ is definitely the most worth your time. If you don't mind keeping your computer turned on while you play and running games in a window you might be able to get decent results with a cheap capture device for your computer, which can be inexpensive, but there can be a lot of variables involved there so I don't think that's a solution to be universally recommended.

Seems like people go through a lot of trouble to get use VGA graphics on their monitors. I had this problem for the longest time till I went to the core of the problem and got a monitor that could naturally handle a console's graphical output. After that it was a matter of purchasing the component or rgb cables and no more problems.  

Darklegion

If you are willing to go to the trouble,a modchip called the o2mod supports focing vga in all games and even in the main bios/browser screen.

atom

QuoteThe XRGB2+ is for VGA though. It gives you a quality signal with any console that can do RGB. The cheap VGA boxes give a crap signal because they can't work with RGB. It really looks terrible. The XRGB2+ is definitely the most worth your time. If you don't mind keeping your computer turned on while you play and running games in a window you might be able to get decent results with a cheap capture device for your computer, which can be inexpensive, but there can be a lot of variables involved there so I don't think that's a solution to be universally recommended.
Yeah but hes talking about the Playstation 2's rarely supported VGA output. He doesnt need any conversion, just a cable.

All I can say friend is to get the disc and give it a try.  
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

RGB32E

I can build PS2 VGA cables for cheap!!!  However, it is a RGsB cable and only works with progressive scan games (Tekken 4/5, Socom 2, Guilty Gear XX/Isuka, PS2 Linux and some others).  You also need a computer monitor that will accept RGB with sync-on-green (RGsB).  

A semi-comprehensive list of progressive scan games can be found at HDTV Arcade.  And to find out if you have a SOG capable monitor, download Viewsonic's EDID editor (EDID.exe).  This program will list the different RGB configurations your monitor may support.

It seems as though there are a number of different ways to enable progressive-scan.  Some games require the triangle and X buttons to be held at startup.  While others have it in a game menu.  And the PS2 Linux kit is L1+Select at startup.  Sony really didn't standardize VGA like Nintendo (and sort of Microsoft) did.  And most importantly, in the PS2 system config, one has to change the component out to "RGB", or else you would get 480p (possibly higher with Linux, though I'm not sure if any HDTVs can properly display S/XGA video signals via component video).

If anyone is interested in a basic and affordable PS2 cable (to play GG:I or the up and coming Tekken 5), please let me know!