Xbox VGA sync problem

Started by Chibi Nappa, December 30, 2004, 04:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibi Nappa

Edit: Oops!  I just realized I named this topic wrong.  It's an RGB sync problem, not VGA.  I don't know what I was thinking...  Can a mod re-name the topic?

Here's my problem:
I have this custom made box thing-a-majig that takes SCART cables as input and stips the sync out.  The output is R, G, B, sync, and ground.  I use it to hook pretty much everything up to my RGB monitors.  PS, PS2, Genesis, SNES, etc.  They all work.  However, my Xbox is being a pain in the arse.  

I have three RGB monitors.  One multi-sync Wells Gardner, one 15 kHz in a DDR Solo cabinet, and one Apple IIGS.  Using the Xbox with sync strip box mentioned above, I get no picture at all (and alot of nasty crackling) on the Wells Gardner, a wavy/rolling picture on the DDR Solo cabinet, and a crystal clear perfect picture on the Apple IIGS monitor.  I really want to get this thing up and running on the DDR cabinet to play DDR Ultramix.  Any idea what would cause the picture to not sync propperly on the DDR cab when it works fine on the Apple monitor?

dj898

if you sticking it up with RGB monitors why not use RGB-Scart cable for Xbox? I believe it's available in Europe...
If you are referring to VGA as RGBVH I'm afraid Xbox doesn't support it out of box - you need one of few homebrew VGA box or more expensive YUV->RGBVH transcoder...
Xbox - assuming it's NTSC unit - supports YUV on top of S-Video/Composite and RGB/S-Video/Composite on PAL box... yea and RF as well with separate module :D

cheers

Chibi Nappa

Well... I am using a SCART cable.  Like I said, it works on the Apple monitor but not the other two.

dj898

so you mean you are using theRGB cable with the Scart connector at the end?
then why do you need the box thingy as the signal out of RGB-Scart cable should be compatible with any RGB monitor???

or are you using Scart cable, not RGB one? I believe Scart and RGB aren't the exactly the same as pin connection on RGB cable is different from normal Scart even though they look the same... ?

cheers

Endymion

He's using a SCART (RGB) cable that plugs into, I presume, a switchbox or some other female "box" that has his de-sync in it, then spits out a signal to his NON-SCART monitors. The thing is, if it works with one, it should work with the others as there is no composite video, only composite sync. The only thing that my nonplussed wits can come up with is to check check and recheck your work with your cabling and anything internal with your sync box. 99% of the time I've found my own carelessness or oversight at the root of any unpredictably weird faults that I've had.

dj898

reading the original post it looks like sync problem and the box he's using isn't providing/compatible with the other two monitors...

other than that not much suggestion as RGB thing is fairly rare here in Australia at consumer level...

cheers

benzaldehyde

I've had the same problem with the BigBox. One of my monitors just plains refuses to sync up, while I have no trouble with the others. Some monitors are just really bitchy, I suppose. :D

atom

It works on the apple monitor? I might have to change my page...
I was led to believe it was only capable of 640 X 400, not 640 x 480.
640 X 480 is the xbox res isnt it? That just shows again that the AppleColor is the best RGB monitor ever, if it was only bigger then 10 inches.

EDIT: A quick google shows that the max XBOX res is 1920 X 1080 but i would still bet most games are 640 X 480.  
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN