News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

WTB X68000

Started by wildo2ne, May 19, 2014, 01:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildo2ne

Is Lawrence still selling the systems on the forum?

NFG

Not since the floods, nope.

RobIvy64

"Console Mods" lurker

RobIvy64

Did you have to trash those? I assume they sat under water for an extended period?
"Console Mods" lurker

eidis

Lawrence,

Please accept my condolences for your loss. There were some abnormal moisture levels the same year when Queensland floods happened and as a result there is rust or light oxidation on most of my stuff. This might seem like a terrible fate, however, it pushed me to study methods of refurbishing and perfecting them. The following things were noticed. Motherboards are very rust resistant. The easy targets are metal parts and keyboard springs. Aluminum is more resistant than metal. All that I am trying to say is that your systems could have been successfully saved and refurbished. A lot of work is involved, but it is well worth it.

Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.

NFG

Sure, they could have been saved, if they weren't just a few of the many hundreds of items I lost that day, if I had time and energy to scrub and clean those items rather than look for a place to live and find places still selling food and buy a fridge to put it in, deal with the insurance company and etc etc etc.

And for what?  A couple of computers that would always be a little flaky, with floppy drives that had mud in the gears, and under every chip?  That mud was caustic, I've got aluminum panels with patterns etched on them from the mud.  I wouldn't want one of the systems that had been underwater, and I'm willing to bet no one would buy them for anywhere near the value of the time it would take to clean them properly.

It's easy to say they could have been saved, but when this happens, there's a certain change in priorities.  ;)

kendrick

As somebody who used to fix game systems regularly, I get where Lawrence is coming from. If you use minimum wage as a metric, and then think about all the labor that goes into restoring or recovering hardware that's been immersed or distressed, then it's almost always cheaper just to get a new one than to put the elbow grease into fixing the existing one. Obviously there are exceptions, like for really rare or unusual items. But the x68000 doesn't really fit into that category, no matter how much you love it.

Not to reopen old wounds or anything, but I live in the American hurricane danger zone and I've never seen anything like the terrestrial-level destruction that occurred in the Queensland flooding. That mud wasn't just caustic, but abrasive as well. My priorities would be totally realigned if I had to live through something like that.

Nelsinho

wildo2ne

I can understand the problems Lawrence and I am sorry for bothering you this. The only reason I asked is as I am sure you already know it is next to impossible to get one of these things in the United States.

Hopefully you are recovering all right and the insurance company treated you decently.

eidis

Hi Wildo2ne !

That is not true. Try asking BlueBMW.

Keep the scene alive !
Eidis
X68000 personal computer is called, "X68K" or "no good good" is called, is the PC that are loved by many people today.