Arcade RGBS CGA/EGA/YUV TO 2 VGA CONVERTER - will it upscan 15.75khz to 31.5khz?

Started by Holering, December 13, 2008, 05:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holering

I ran into this Arcade RGBS CGA/EGA/YUV TO 2 VGA CONVERTER(NEW) device http://www.arcademvs.com/ARCADE_ACESSERIOR.htm

Does anyone here know if this actually upscans from 15.75khz to 31.5khz? The price seems very cheap for what it does though it seems to be simply and solidly built! Here's a description of what it says

NOTE

The high definition converter GBS-8220 it's professional of game convert. Support all games(Amusement、Playstation、Xbox、wii......)convert to CRT monitor 、LCD monitor 、PDP monitor...... Auto scan CGA/EGA/YUV signal, Two VGA outputs , output high resolution signal.

FEATURES

- Supports CGA/EGA/YUV signal input.
- Supports VGA output 640*480,800*600,1024*768,1360*768
- CGA/EGA signal auto scan(15K,24K,31K)
- YUV signal auto scan(480i,576i,720i,1080i,480p,576p,720p,1080p)
- Chinese and English OSD.
- Supports position control & zoom control.
- True digital 24-bit A/D converter for true 16.7-million color conversion.
- Supports all VGA monitor (CRT、LCD、PDP、PROJECT......)

It come from A Power Cable and a RGBS INPUT Cable.

Product No. A-24

So anyone here have experience with this? It seems to be the best thing out there for all RGB to vga needs. It even has Component YUV inputs (ypbpr?)!!

EDIT: Ok I found this thread here http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3315.msg23146#msg23146

in the very last post; Blaine mentions getting one of these (I believe the same one I'm asking about) in the mail and will be writing a review up? Did I miss the review or has this member not posted any info since then?

ken_cinder

It's possible, but I am very doubtful that it will upscan. The description is kind of vague, and I don't even see the word "Upscan" ANYWHERE.

I see it supports certain inputs and certain outputs, but not what inputs it will output (Wow that sounded wierd)

HOWEVER, I watched the video. The video shows a neo geo MVS, hooked up to the product, outputting to an LCD panel. A CRT would have been solid proof, theres nothing saying that LCD doesn't support 15khz over VGA.

It does say this though: "Supports all VGA monitor (CRT、LCD、PDP、"

I'm going to contact them and ask. And btw, I've dealt with these people before via Ebay. I recognize the email address. VERY reputable, I purchased my Japanese Taito F3 w/ Puzzle Bobble 2 from them. Quick ship, good stuff.

Holering

I looked up the product on google and found only chinese sites. Using google translator on the first link came up with this http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://www.e-ding.com/ProductShow.asp%3FID%3D129&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522GBS-8220%2522%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

The translated text really makes it out to be capable of upscanning which would make this thing a god send! If only someone could make sure of it's capabilities (where are you Blaine?) that would be great! I also emailed the people from the link in my first post as well.

I hope one of us gets a response soon enough! Only 50 usa dollars+shipping for this thing? Sounds too good to be true!

EDIT: Ok I just found the manual to it and this thing is really being a tease! Here's a link to the manual! http://www.gonbes.com/down/EN-8220III-2.pdf

I especially liked these parts in the manual

"User control
Input Switch, Image Zoom, Image Position,
Output Resolution ,R\G\B gain adjust."

"Input signal CGA/EGA
14.5-16.5K
23.5-25.5K
30.5-32.5K
Auto scan
P3 or P11 or P10

RGBHV
30.5-32.5K
Auto scan
P10 or P11

VGA
30.5-32.5K
Auto scan
P10 or P11

Ypbpr
480p,576p,720p,1080p
Auto scan
P2

Ycbcr
480i,576i,720i,1080i
Auto scan
P2"

"Output signal
VGA
640*480,800*600
1024*768,1360*768"

"-when you monitor display "input not supports" maybe you need change to low resolution .
Please press "DOWN/AUTO" over 5 second and release. system reset to 800*600 output."

The english isn't very well printed... Also the Ypbpr signals are all listed as progressive whereas all the Ycbcr are interlaced...

acem77

Sounds nice.
I hope it works with off spec arcade pcbs--- ki 1+2, nba jam, mk1-3 to name a few.
I know my xrgb2 Plus and many tvs with other rgb to X comverts hate.

ken_cinder

None of those arcade PCBs are "off spec", they conform to standard resolution spec. I actually used to own both KIs, and they work perfectly fine on a standard res arcade monitor.

If you're using them on anything else, like an XRGB2, you aren't using them for their intended use, and you can't expect them to function exactly as designed.

Edit: I got an email back from them. I'd say it's pretty "to the point", it upscans.

Quote from: My emailHi, I was wondering exactly how your *Arcade RGBS CGA/EGA/YUV TO 2 VGA CONVERTER
works.

Does it upscan a 15khz signal to 31khz, or will a 15khz signal being input only
output at 15khz? We have some interested parties who wish to use for instance, a
15khz arcade PCB on a CRT monitor that cannot accept 15khz.

The video shows a MVS hooked up to an LCD monitor, but some LCDs accept 15khz
over VGA (I have 2 that do) so we were not certain.

Quote from: Their responseHi sir
Yes,it can convert 15k to 31k.
My video is old,I will take new one to youtube.
Thank you

Holering

Omg I have to get one of these and try it out! I just hope there is some kind of diagram that shows which pins do what on the rgb inputs (more specifically the 8 pin rgb input) as I can't seem to find any 8 pin rgb standard like the one on this pcb.

Gonna have to get one and try it! Thanks JTF_Cinder! BTW were'nt some of you guys normally trading files over DC++ hubs around 4-6 years ago or so?... I swear JTF_Cinder sounds so familiar as do alot of other names.

EDIT: Nevermind it says on the pcb itself doh... Still gotta figure out if it's positive or negative polarity for the 5v DC input... I don't think mine will come with a power supply plug

ken_cinder

Check out the two pin connector for polarity (it's marked), you should be able to figure out from that, what the polarity on the plug socket is.
Just by looking, it appears to be positive polarity.

And yes, I used Direct Connect........a LONG time ago. Used to mod at the Classic Sega hub.

Holering

Will do that

Omg yes it was the classic sega hub lol. Such a small world lol. I remember it so well I left my comp on 24/7 for a couple years I believe (I think 2 years). Still have all my DVD's I burnt. I used to get everything sega I could and vgm through some other hubs lol including... I better not talk about it anymore... oops

acem77

Quote from: IJTF_Cinder on December 13, 2008, 10:09:57 AM
None of those arcade PCBs are "off spec", they conform to standard resolution spec. I actually used to own both KIs, and they work perfectly fine on a standard res arcade monitor.

If you're using them on anything else, like an XRGB2, you aren't using them for their intended use, and you can't expect them to function exactly as designed.

Edit: I got an email back from them. I'd say it's pretty "to the point", it upscans.

Quote from: My emailHi, I was wondering exactly how your *Arcade RGBS CGA/EGA/YUV TO 2 VGA CONVERTER
works.

Does it upscan a 15khz signal to 31khz, or will a 15khz signal being input only
output at 15khz? We have some interested parties who wish to use for instance, a
15khz arcade PCB on a CRT monitor that cannot accept 15khz.

The video shows a MVS hooked up to an LCD monitor, but some LCDs accept 15khz
over VGA (I have 2 that do) so we were not certain.

Quote from: Their responseHi sir
Yes,it can convert 15k to 31k.
My video is old,I will take new one to youtube.
Thank you

off spec for my needs.
since most tvs and other commercial devices have a very limited tolerance.
Unlike the slop that is expected with arcade related equipment.
this device is sold to upscan arcade pcbs then it should have the threshold to sync in on almost any pcb from the input.
Id guess the output must be more accurate for commercial displays

ken_cinder

If I had any actual use for one of these, I'd so buy one.
My LCD TVs support 15khz over VGA and I have an arcade machine with two 29" RGB monitors in it, so buying one of these wouldn't be more than just "plug it in' convienence, and I don't pay $50 for convienence. lol

mr. newbie

hmmm so i can connect a ps2 to this and get vga?

it just seems so much... cheaper than every other option. i almost can't believe it.

Holering

Well I got my cga2rgb pcb a couple days ago though I've arrived in mexico since then. I won't be back home to test it out for about another 2 weeks or so. Will post my results with this thing after I try it out ;D Till then Merry Christmas and God bless

Link83

Im just wondering here, but would a device like this be of any good?
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/62/490/11786/PDA-V100HD/index.html

It takes Composite, S-Video, RGB Scart, Component and HDMI and upscales them and outputs it over one HDMI cable. As far as I read on the instruction sheet it uses a Farouda scaling chip which (as I understand it) is quite highly regarded.

It came out just over a year ago and I have been thinking about getting one but was holding off until I could read a review of it, but I havent found one review yet. I especially wanted to know how much of a delay the processing/scaling added - which is very important for gaming.

You should be able to get some good deals if you looks around - especially with the weak GBP at the moment. I have seen it for as low as £99/$146 (without shipping of course)

Of course if you live in a country that uses 110v you would need a step-up convertor to use it  ;)

Fudoh

Quotehttp://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/62/490/11786/PDA-V100HD/index.html
100% absolutely worthless. Terrible Quality.

I've written a (rather) short review and taken a comparison screenshot. Both to found here http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

ken_cinder

Did some quick reading of your site. $1500 is "affordable" for something that upscales my NES? Really what uses are for linedoublers etc beyond displaying old non progressive signals?

$1500 is one hell of an expensive piece of kit to make some old video game systems look sharper on screen! Affordable $1500 is not.

Fudoh

QuoteDid some quick reading of your site
Probably too quick. I would never state $1500 to be affordable. The best scoring device on the whole page is the XRGB-3 which is about $250-300. Most other devices I recommend like the ONCE-$1500 Vigatec machines are now $100-150.

The main point of the site was actually to show that not even a $3500 videoprocessing device can do what the XRGB-2 and 3 can do...

ken_cinder

Might want to edit it then.

Under the Videon Omega One "Pros" is precisely those words. Throughout the review of it, the $ value being stated as $1500 (Even in the same "Pros" line). lol

Fudoh

changed it ! thanks for the input.
Originally the price overview from the top was closer to the actual Videon/Vigatec paragraph, but the site evolved and got a bit more complex I guess...

Blaine

Quote from: Holering on December 13, 2008, 05:50:24 AM
in the very last post; Blaine mentions getting one of these (I believe the same one I'm asking about) in the mail and will be writing a review up? Did I miss the review or has this member not posted any info since then?

Yeah, sorry I missed your pm about it. The first board I got was DOA. So then I had to ship it back and the waiting game began. I just got the board in yesterday and put it through it's paces. So far... not that bad. It's not going to knock the XRGB off for best value, but it's a whole lot better than other devices in the $50 price range.

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3508.0
If you can mod it... I'll find a way to screw it up!